1995 Chaparral 2550 SX Refit and Restoration

drewm3i

Petty Officer 1st Class
After repairing the trailer, we launched the boat on the Little Bay De Noc again (it had been launched and kept on a mooring prior to the Pictured Rocks trip, but was removed when a massive storm with forecasted 70-75 MPH wind gusts moved through) and headed across Green Bay to Washington Island--a wonderful destination and one of the neatest places I've ever been to via boat.

We got a late start because of the trailer and various ongoing boat projects (I won't stop until this boat is basically brand new, so never I guess). The run across Green Bay was A SLOG...out in the "bay," we saw a consistent 3-5' following sea with 6' and 7' waves sprinkled in. There was probably an occasional 8' as well. The boat did well as always and never stuffed past the rub rail. Of course I was constantly working the wheel, throttle, and tabs...talk about a workout, but we maintained a steady 22-25 MPH.

We got to Washington Island late at dusk, after the restaurant at the marina had closed down the kitchen, but someone was nice enough to give us a ride into town and back. We ate at a local dive bar and the locals were "colorful" to say the least. The next day we borrowed a truck at the marina and explored town, stopping at Red Cup Coffee, a bookstore next door, and a wonderful replica Nordic Church. After eating lunch at a local outdoor burger joint that advertised: "We are not fast, we are good. If you want fast, go to Chicago.", we headed around the island to dive a shipwreck, but the water was too murky. We then hopped over to the other side of the nearby Rock Island for a swim. In contrast to the day prior, the Lake was flat calm and simply serene. It is so odd that two diametrically opposed days can be juxtaposed next to one another like these two days were. I think the reason for the change was the reversal in the wind direction, which nullified the fetch.

Red Cup Coffee...NO WIFI!

The Starvike, a Nordic Church Replica.

https://ibb.co/BqYfFgn
The builder's toolbelt. Apparently he hung them up here and then died one evening and never finished the church and they've been hanging there ever since as a testament to his work. Amazing really.

drewm3i

Petty Officer 1st Class
Around the church, were these ethereal trails with nautical-themed Bible verses strewn about.

Shipyard Marina...Highly recommend! The only functioning marina on the island and its a good one with good people. For example, their gas pump was down and so they allowed us to borrow a work truck again and gave us Jerry cans to get pump gas! How many marinas would do that in more "civilized" places?!

After swimming at Rock Island we headed back to Gladstone to retrieve the boat and pack up and head home. Washington Island ended up being the crown jewel of the trip and I can't wait to go back!

drewm3i

Petty Officer 1st Class
Made this video from our trip to launch a new YouTube channel dedicated to boating related content.