1995 Chaparral 1830ss Gear lube Question

Ryan400

Recruit
The boat is a '95 but has a '05 4.3 merc. I just picked the boat up from the dealer. I got back from using it and noticed the reservoir on the top right side of the engine was dry. I assume this would be the gear lube. The boat did not sound any alarms or anything and seemed to be running fine while i was out there. i also did not her the alarm go off when i started the boat like a hear on my other boats. Does this boat have an alarm for the gear lube? or an alarm for start up? if i was running on low gear lube what kind of problems will it cause? Would i have noticed anything while driving out on the lake? I plan on filling it up tomorrow with gear lube i would just like to her some thoughts before i talk to the marina. Also what is the stock recommend gear lube? i was thinking the high performance.

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1995 Chaparral 1830ss Gear lube Question

The boat is a '95 but has a '05 4.3 merc. I just picked the boat up from the dealer. I got back from using it and noticed the reservoir on the top right side of the engine was dry. I assume this would be the gear lube. The boat did not sound any alarms or anything and seemed to be running fine while i was out there. i also did not her the alarm go off when i started the boat like a hear on my other boats. Does this boat have an alarm for the gear lube? or an alarm for start up? if i was running on low gear lube what kind of problems will it cause? Would i have noticed anything while driving out on the lake? I plan on filling it up tomorrow with gear lube i would just like to her some thoughts before i talk to the marina. Also what is the stock recommend gear lube? i was thinking the high performance.

I am assuming that you have a Mercruiser outdrive....

Mercruiser High Performance is the preferred gear lube...but look into your reservoir and try to ascertain if the residual is blue (or blue/green). That would be the High Performance. You don't want to mix the Mercruiser grades, and the Premium is a motor oil color (tan?).

As for the alarm...there will be a pair of wires coming from the bottom of the reservoir, if your setup is monitoring the level. And 'yes'...you should be hearing the buzzer with the key in the 'run' position and the engine not running. Look for the buzzer under the helm....

Happy boating!

Ryan400

Recruit

it look like a lime green ish color so i am pretty sure it is high performance. Do you think i would have noticed any symptoms while driving the boat if the gear lube was a such a low level it was causing damage?

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

it look like a lime green ish color so i am pretty sure it is high performance. Do you think i would have noticed any symptoms while driving the boat if the gear lube was a such a low level it was causing damage?

The reservoir sits higher than the vent screw in the outdrive...so the reservoir can be dry, and the outdrive still be close to the full line. You may not have been running that low in the drive....

Can a lack of lube damage the drive? You bettcha! Thing to do is to pump some lube into the drive from the drain plug, with the vent plug removed...and take note of how much the drive takes. Then follow the manual as to topping off the reservoir. Keep an eye on the reservoir levels (it is normal for some to 'disappear') as the system settles back in. If any damage had been done, I am sure that you would have heard about it first...before you noticed the reservoir level.

Happy boating!

Ryan400

Recruit

The reservoir sits higher than the vent screw in the outdrive...so the reservoir can be dry, and the outdrive still be close to the full line. You may not have been running that low in the drive....

Can a lack of lube damage the drive? You bettcha! Thing to do is to pump some lube into the drive from the drain plug, with the vent plug removed...and take note of how much the drive takes. Then follow the manual as to topping off the reservoir. Keep an eye on the reservoir levels (it is normal for some to 'disappear') as the system settles back in. If any damage had been done, I am sure that you would have heard about it first...before you noticed the reservoir level.

Happy boating!
well the boat is a slip so i cant fill it from the drain plug but i filled the reservoir and it didn't take a lot so i guess the reservoir was just dry i let it sit overnight and will check it again in the morning but i think i may have gotten very lucky and noticed it before any damage could have happened thank god!

cr2k

Captain

Overnite may not work if there is an air bubble in the line. The lube just won't pass it in most cases.

Can you get to the vent (upper) plug on the side of the upper? If so pull this and see if there is any lube there.

Is this a Gen II or a Bravo?

Ryan400

Recruit

i was going to run it for a bit too , i think its a gen II because it doesn't say bravo on the lower unit like it normally would.