1995 BW Rage14 115 Jet

estame6

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all. I am new to this boat and need some pointers on removing the power head. I haven't found much to read on this and understand there are three bolts through the adapter which when removed the power head is lifted off the jet drive together with the adapter. Would like to hear from anyone that has attempted this and can add to a few other questions.
Many thanks.20220927_153010.jpg

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Step #1 would be to remove some panels to get room to work on it.

estame6

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for that. The Transom and the side panels are non removable and are part of the boat structure and gel coated on the outboard side to form storage areas. The space around the engine is fairly accessible and was more hoping to find someone that has done the job of removal to get some pointers. Thanks again...

racerone

Supreme Mariner
What trouble shooting was done on this engine ?----Compression test would be easy before lifting it out.-------I took one out on my own boat.-----Correct the 3 bolts / studs and nuts hold it in there.----The engine , adapter and muffler lift out as an assembly.

Last edited:

estame6

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The troubleshooting resulted in seeing a spray of water when the engine is running coming from under the muffler. Where the muffler gasket is located then going down from the gasket about 3" to the lower part of the adapter's is this spray of water coming from the lower edge spraying out horizontally.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Maybe it was not winterized properly.----Have you done a compression test on it ?----I would and post your numbers here.

estame6

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks, I will do a compression test over weekend and report.
That's good you mentioned that, what is the procedure for winterizing?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
As an outboard that powerhead drains itself.-----But mounted as an inboard it and the muffler need to be drained.----Look for the plugs / valve for draining it.

estame6

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for that. I'm assuming the drain plug must be at the lowest point so somewhere in the adapter?

estame6

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The manual just mentions a flush kit but would like to know where the drain plug is located. Thanks....

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There are 2 drains / petcocks shown on the parts page for adapter and muffler.

estame6

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Perfect, can you point me to that parts page?
I've felt around the adapter from what I can get too and unable to find any petcocks.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
???----There are a number of sites on line----Crowly marine-----is but one of them.