1995 Bombardier / OMC Remote Throttle Problem.

luckyinkentucky

Chief Petty Officer
I removed my remote today, and took it apart, because it is hard to shift in the FORWARD position. After taking it apart I noticed that the FORWARD cable had a small plastic retaining piece that was broken in half. I examined the REVERSE cable, and it had the same piece, but the two halves seemed to be pressed together. Do I have to replace the whole cable due to these two pieces being separated, or can I just super glue them back together? Below is a diagram of the pieces I am talking about.

Throttle Cable Diagram

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1995 Bombardier / OMC Remote Throttle Problem.

replace. or be stranded.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

There is no forward cable and another cable for reverse. You have a shift cable and a throttle cable. If you're having trouble shifting it out of forward into neutral that may be a different problem. It should shift into forward from neutral easily but sometimes you have trouble getting it out of gear.

luckyinkentucky

Chief Petty Officer

I used some highly volatile glue to put the two pieces back together. The glue actually melts the two pieces being joined, and seals them there. It's an aircraft plastic glue, and worked really well!

The problem wasn't in the cable, however. For some reason my advance idle bar at the top of the remote housing had come loose, and this was preventing the throttle from going into the FORWARD position. I had to tighten the bolt holding the idle bar to the housing, and everything worked smoothly after that. It's amazing how something so simple can mess up the whole works.