1995 Bass Tracker No More Carpet

Starcraftguy1

Petty Officer 1st Class
It's almost the end of the fishing season for me here in Arizona.I have a 1995 Bass Tracker Pro Deep Vee 17' boat.The only thing wrong with this boat is the carpet.I have gelcoated a couple of boats lately,but want to strip the inside of this one and clean everything.I was thinking of rolling some grey gelcoat on the whole interior.It would seal the wood and this Arizona sun would'nt kill it every couple of years.The only problem that I see is all the aluminum hatches that this boat has.I would drill out the rivets and do it right,but does gelcoat stick to aluminum.Just seeing if anyone has tried this before.Let me know,I'm ready.Thanks

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1995 Bass Tracker No More Carpet

i did my deck.....i think gellcoat is the only way to go.......im going to put a carpet back in there tho....(i want it soft under the girls feet)

pm ondarvr and give him the link to this thread....you will have the answer to the alum question....

i know it will....but for how long?????

cheers
oops

oops!

Supreme Mariner

hang on a sec.......id just remove all the hatches and gellcoat the whole shabang.....then replace the hatches.....

if you just paint around the hatches....it will crack the first time the temp fluctuates ot it flexes

i386

Captain

Never seen a Bass Tracker thread before. Should be interesting.

fishrdan

Admiral

I'm doing something similar, well kind of...

I removed all the carpet from my 18' Crestliner, replaced all the deck plywood and installed marine floor vinyl on the hull sides, deck panels, consoles, hatches,,, pretty much everything that was carpeted before. Getting the carpet adhesive off the aluminum was a real joy :rolleyes: took 5 gallons of lacquer thinner, few rolls of paper towels and a lot of time,,, but it was spotless when I was done :D (Crestliner used some funky carpet adhesive...)

I don't know about gelcoat, it might stick to ruffed up aluminum, but the deck plywood is most likely checked real bad and cause cracking of the gelcoat unless you glassed the plywood before gelcoating.

Calhere

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That wouldn't be a bad way to go for a fishing boat.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Spray in liners would be cool ecxcept for the fact that it's a full 3/16" thick when applied correctly and it weighs a ton. I've heard of a lot of guys doing it and later regretting it.

The marine grade linoleum is the way to go for fishing boats but not that great for Bass boats where you need the extra traction.

Snap down carpet is the cure all. Just gel coat the decks and install snaps. You don't have to tear your boat half apart to replace the carpet and you can use the cheap Home Depot I/O carpet because you won't mind changing it.

If the ladies complain, you can probably get I/O carpet in pink. Make them their own and swap it out when they want you to. LOL

Calhere

Petty Officer 2nd Class

snap in carpet now that's a thought. You get your fishing floor and then the ladies have their cushy floor.

Starcraftguy1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well Sorry Guys,

I have gelcoated the inside of my Bass Tracker,Just from the front deck,back.That is where I sit,I removed the bases and pedastall seats there except for the rear one.My driving seat is now an ice cube 60 quart ice chest with a new grey and blue Bass Pro Shop seat mounted to the top of it.Yes,I siliconed the holes that would leave ice cold goodness exscape.I rolled the grey gelcoat on,2 coats,and then sprinkled the top with with silaca sand,while wet.I have 2 prostetic legs so the foot problem,I don't give a damn.I will put some pics in here.It is beautyfull.All the wood is sealed,and no more carpet.I love it.I am taking it out this weekend,we will see if anyone goes overboard.LOL.Check back soon,Great site,I love checking it out.

Starcraftguy1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well,the ice chest did'nt work out,too tall with a seat on it.The rear floor is great.On the stern side the live well and storage hatch,I removed the hatches and took out the screws for the 1 piece of plywood.I stipped the carpet from the wood today,tomarrow I am going to gelcoat that piece of wood and reinstall it.Both sides.Then try to gelcoat the 2 aluminum hatches.I'll let you know how that goes.I put the new Bass Pro Shop seat back on my original base and pedastall,for the drivers seat.Someone took some time on that figureing it out,a lot better then my thinking,lol.I have a bunch of pictures of this project,will upload them tomarrow.It's time to get them boats fixed up guys.Better now then when you have to do it.