1995-96 Force 120hp motor durability

rooster

Cadet
can anyone offer opinions on this motor? also does anyone have the specs and what i should look for before i buy? it is on a 1996 nitro tf170 that is fairly clean, what would a fair offer be to make, it is a bank repo?

kevlar3000

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1995-96 Force 120hp motor durability

There are a lot of sad Force owners out there. As fun as it is to get a new boat it would suck to get stuck with a bum motor. I would keep my options open. I learned a painful chrysler lesson a few years ago.

gambler369

Cadet

I had a Force 70 hp for nine years and never had a bit of trouble it started every time, but worried me I was told that they stopped making the force line and I was worried about parts in the future. That was hear-say but I would check. I traded in my boat for a new one while it still ran good. Good luck.

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

OK, rooster here's the deal......last year force outboards made was 1999. the force motors are ok if they are fed and maintained properly.....they hate cheap oil[it cokes up the rings] and they dont like low octane fuel either. i see many early force motors still runnin strong after 15 years.......and i see guys that cant make 2 years without blowin up a powerhead........same kinda motors but different owners! when buying used you gotta know 3 things about the motor........compression test,spark check and what the gear lube looks like.....get past these and you can miss most major problems

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

I agree with ODDD1. I have a Force 1991 50hp<br />that has never failed me (well once, when it<br />sat too long).But that was it's way of paying me back. The Force line is essentially<br />a Chrysler, but Mercury tried to upgrade and<br />streamline the company and it's products.<br />After 10years of trying, they gave up. The<br />engine designs are very basic, so they can't meet today's nasty tough Federal standards.<br />They run dirtier than yer average 2001 engine. But I'll trust my Force waaay before getting outta site of land with a 2000Ficht<br />on the back (too many recalls on those).<br /><br /><br />------------------<br />I came, I saw, I Have No CLUE!

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Sorry I got long winded and forgot the most important comment.<br />As Force is no longer in production, parts<br />availablity is my major concerne with them.<br />MOF, I'm waiting for a parts guy to try to locate seals for the lower unit now....He never DID call me back..I'm scared.<br /><br />------------------<br />I came, I saw, I Have No CLUE!

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

12fOOTER, GET A NEW PARTS GUY....MOST FORCE DEALERS THAT KNOW WHICH END OF A SCREWDRIVER TO USE KEEP THESE PARTS IN STOCK...... THAT GEARCASE USED THE SAME SEALS FROM THE OLD WEST BEND DAYS TO 99 WHEN THEY QUIT.POST E MAIL ADDY AN I'LL HELP..........

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

ODD1, Thanks. This parts guy was refered to me by my normal parts guy, who said he had 15 years with Chrysler/Force, but this man must be busy,as he hasn't gotten back to me.<br />I called him twice, and he hasn't had time to look it up...Anyways, What is your E-Mail?<br />(not listed in profile).<br />But what I need is all lower end seals,an impeller, and shaft bearing in lower end.<br />The gear train is in like new shape (i keep an eye on everything closely), but I'm getting a bad pressure test,and water in lower unit, mostly from lower drive shaft seal.<br />the engine is a 1991 Force 50Hp.<br />Also, if you can locate that pesky little plastic intake screen dohicky,(the one that has to be installed from INSIDE the gearcase, I'll take you to lunch
smile.gif
<br />Been lookin for that part for 6 years.<br /><br /><br /><br />------------------<br />I came, I saw, I Have No CLUE!

rooster

Cadet

thanks odd1, do you know what the compression should be on this 120hp, and what do you mean by spark check?

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

serial no# OE093938 and Up;<br />cylinders 1 and 4:135-150PSI<br />cylinders 2 and 3:145-160PSI<br />These engines have staggered compression.<br /><br /><br /><br />------------------<br />I came, I saw, I Have No CLUE!

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

LOOKS like 12 footers got a book.......lol......most run 140 or 145 with the top one down 5 lbs from others........i always cringe when giving hard compression numbers......lotta variables at work....how dry cylinders are..cranking voltage....engine temp.....all will make a difference....thats why everybody stresses the variance [between cyls] as important.

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Oh, yeah..spark....all plugs out of motor....at cranking speed you should be able to jump a 7/16" air gap on all plug wires....any less an will missfire under load

rooster

Cadet

thanks odd1 and 12footer, i appreciate the help, will check it out tomorrow and see how it goes.

sony2001

Chief Petty Officer

After one season with a used 120 Force on a Bayliner package I say<br />1 a low end ($)well thought out high performance package. 2 needs high octane gas<br />and quality oil. 3 keep the big bucks in my<br />pocket for when the industry is FORCED to go<br />to 4 cycle. ( Imagine a torbo diesel)

Capt Ron

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My all time favorite motors were the Chrysler 70, 55, and 45. They were simple and ran half way decent and I worked on and used a lot of them while a mechanic for a Chrysler dealer back in the go old days. If I could get one now I'd take it. The owner of the shop used to get on my case about digging through the junk pile and pulling out usable parts. One day I was running a 55 in the test tank and he asked where I got it from. I told him that I had built it from the parts and had painted it while he wasn't looking. After selling this "free" motor at a huge profit he asked if I could build any more, I built 3 from that pile and then he would buy parts that I needed for several others. The day that we bought the inventory of a closed dealer was best day, I found blocks, cranks, pistons, gaskets, and everything that I could ever dream of. It was a sad day for me when they became Force.<br />Even sadder when I found out that the outfit that I liked the least took over. There went the neighborhood. <br />Capt Ron

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

ODD1, thanks..The guy that furnished the parts for my motor (impellers and such), refered me to the guy that never called back.<br />Just to update, I called him,and he not only had the parts i needed (lower end seal kit), he told me to "relax, man! Everything you'll ever need for it are on my shelf,or I can get them overnight. So chill!" <br />LOL. I even bought a like-new used prop for 70 bukz, to replace the one my dad abused...<br />Now, I have a spare
smile.gif
<br />The guys name is Gary, owner of "Outboards Only",in North Fort Myers, Florida.<br />Phone number is (941)-997-9880.<br />So, all you force owners who were "Scared" like I was, chill,man!
smile.gif
<br /><br /><br />------------------<br />I'm no expert, but I DID sleep at a Holiday Inn last night!