1995/96 25Hp 3 cyl Evinrude running issues

Pbourgou

Cadet
Hi my 3cyl 25Hp motor starts and runs fine but after a bit, start to stall frequently, then only runs for short bursts and stalls. Once it’s gets started again, has low power, trolling speed on full throttle, slow down, put motor in neutral then forward again and motor runs normal for a short while again, any ideas???

Compression is 110 all 3 cyls, new plugs and fuel filter, I’m lost

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Replaced the water pump impeller ?-----test tun with another tank and hose ?------Still running with automatic oil mixer ?

Pbourgou

Cadet
Replaced the water pump impeller ?-----test tun with another tank and hose ?------Still running with automatic oil mixer ?
Never replaced the water pump, seems to pump water fine, yes still have the oil tank, Will try with diff tank and hose, but same As end of season last year, and was Running fine, thanks for tip

Ronniewhite

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi my 3cyl 25Hp motor starts and runs fine but after a bit, start to stall frequently, then only runs for short bursts and stalls. Once it’s gets started again, has low power, trolling speed on full throttle, slow down, put motor in neutral then forward again and motor runs normal for a short while again, any ideas???

Compression is 110 all 3 cyls, new plugs and fuel filter, I’m lost
I have the same motor but a 2000. I had almost identical issues your having last year. I think your motor is overheating and going into slow mode. When was the impeller last changed?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Post #2 seems to suggest that you need to install a new impeller.----Many folks are not aware that outboards need a new impeller about every 5 years.-----And there are still many sellers that will fire up a motor at the end of the driveway.----No water to cool the impeller !!

Pbourgou

Cadet
Changed the impeller and it fixed the issue, thank you, motor ram like a charm, never stalled once