1995 60HP Johnson rubber (oring?) chunks in thermostat

wfburton159

Cadet
I am at 900 feet elevation. These 47D are way too rich. Had the air box off and the motor cover and gas was pouring out the front of the carbs at full throttle. Backed off to 5/8 throttle and less fuel and started running better. I am used to snowmobiles and two jet sizes is a huge difference. I will call the local dealership tomorrow he should be open to see if he has any jets.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Gas does not pour out due to the wrong carburetor jets !!!-----Take carburetors apart and service the floats / float valves.

wfburton159

Cadet
Nobody local including several scrap yards had any HS orifices so I ordered some online that should be here this week. Ran the boat quite a bit this past weekend and had great luck when I stayed 3/4 throttle or less. Full throttle would foul plugs and backing off the throttle, the plugs would dry up enough to start firing again. Wow what a mess this has been. But I will update again once I have the smaller HS orifices installed. Went with 45D orifices.

Last edited:

wfburton159

Cadet
Installed the new 45D high speed orifices and have my idle screws about 1 3/4 turns out. It runs great now. Did about four miles at WOT and didn’t miss a beat. Idled around at slowest speed and runs great there too. Towed my daughter quite a bit today as well varying throttle speed most of the time with no issues. Happy to say the running issues are solved. I will have to keep an eye on the rubber chunks in the thermostat.