1995 25hp Johnson 2 stroke, what are the best years for the 25 hp?

archshark

Recruit
I am looking into buying a 25hp Johnson tiller 2 stroke shirt shaft for my inflatable. What are the best years to look for in the 25hp range? I'm currently eyeing a 1995.

brodmann

Chief Petty Officer
I had a 1976 that made a 12' john boat fly!! That thing lasted for years. I finally sold it and the boat when kids came along and it was no longer big enough. I'd look at the larger big square cowling. When they started making them smaller, there was more plastic and things were much more cramped and packed in there and more difficult to get to stuff. I'm not sure if you plan to take it on/off the boat often or if you will be trailering the boat, but the larger ones are much heavier, if that's a consideration.

archshark

Recruit
I had a 1976 that made a 12' john boat fly!! That thing lasted for years. I finally sold it and the boat when kids came along and it was no longer big enough. I'd look at the larger big square cowling. When they started making them smaller, there was more plastic and things were much more cramped and packed in there and more difficult to get to stuff. I'm not sure if you plan to take it on/off the boat often or if you will be trailering the boat, but the larger ones are much heavier, if that's a consideration.
I'm going to be taking it off and on my inflatable 12 ft boat every time I use it. I was also eyeing a 1985 Johnson 8hp. but the 25hp performs so awesome so much power. I'm just wondering if a 1995 is any better then the 80s ones? And what to look out for.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
2 theories.... old ones are built better ...some are 60 years old and still run great if you don't mind an oldy parts available easy to fix basic issues like ignition carbs etc...

new ones are better probably lighther, use less gas run at 50/1 oil mix but a 2 stroke is a 2 stroke. 30-40 % of the fuel ix goes out the back end. ...in the water.

new 4 strokes are clean reliable fuel sippers but may be heavier than a 2 stroke.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
It is the same basic engine block from 76 to 2005 or so.-----Anyone from late 1980's would be my choice.

tphoyt

Lieutenant Junior Grade
What is the 12’ inflatable rated for.
That’s a lot of motor for a little boat.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I am looking into buying a 25hp Johnson tiller 2 stroke shirt shaft for my inflatable. What are the best years to look for in the 25hp range? I'm currently eyeing a 1995.
Some people like the Big Twin Models from the early 1950s thru 55, others are partial to the 22cu.in models of 1969-1977. Others like the 32.5cu.in models from 1977- till OMCs demise. There are likely some who like the 3 cylinder model in the late 90s.

We had a 1979 version(32.5cu.in.), it was a good engine. On a light hull, the 22cu.in version is a good choice.

Ronniewhite

Petty Officer 2nd Class
anything just not a 3 cylinder.
What's wrong with the 3 cylinder? I've had a J25TEL3SS for a while now and use it about 3times a week and it's been great. Troll all day and not quit once. I'm just asking because if there's issues I would like to know?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Personally, I like 3 cylinder 2 Strokes as they are far better when it comes to Exhaust Tuning, which can result in better Performance and better Fuel Economy, than a Twin, or in the case of larger Engines, a 4 Cylinder

Chief Petty Officer
There is no correct answer . If you ask 100 people you'll get 100 different answers. In my opinion , ETECs are the most advanced . They are also the newest 2 strokes you can purchase . They also run the cleanest .

3 carbs are a good choice as well. They are the generation prior to ETECS, but they produce wonderful power and are quiet , smooth and efficient . From a reliability standpoint it would be a good idea to get the newest 2 stroke you can afford. The newer the motor the more expensive it is. The older the motor , the more affordable.

Personally I think it's a terrible idea , no offense. Lifting anything over 120 pounds off the back of an inflatable boat at the end of a long day of boating is never fun . Doing it on a consistent basis, you'll soon find out that you'll wish you had picked a lighter outboard . Go to the gym, stack two 45's on a barbell , pick it up , then walk around. You'll see how cumbersome it is. I go to the gym every single day and can lift hundreds of pounds, but that doesn't necessarily mean I would want to do that on my days off when I'm trying to enjoy time on the water .

I think you should get a 15 HP . They're just under 80 lbs dry . You can lift it with one hand by yourself .

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
What's wrong with the 3 cylinder? I've had a J25TEL3SS for a while now and use it about 3times a week and it's been great. Troll all day and not quit once. I'm just asking because if there's issues I would like to know?
Have you priced the ignition parts? Only made for 5 yrs ,not going to have the parts availability of a 2 cylinder. Nothing wrong with the motor itself. Just too many model specific parts. The 2 cylinder is just as good and cheaper to maintain.

Ronniewhite

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Have you priced the ignition parts? Only made for 5 yrs ,not going to have the parts availability of a 2 cylinder. Nothing wrong with the motor itself. Just too many model specific parts. The 2 cylinder is just as good and cheaper to maintain.
I haven't had to buy much yet. Except for the power pack which was very expensive. I got a new aftermarket one on ebay but it was still like $200. That was 4yrs ago. I changed the impeller too.