1994 SeaDoo SPi possible bad fuel problem

dlogvine

Master Chief Petty Officer
I bought a 1994 Seadoo SPi. It was starting and running when I was testing it and afterwards every time I started it in the storage. Inside of th he engine compartment fuel smelled old, but I thought it wont be much of a problem since I was going to mix it with the high octane new fuel and use fuel enzyme. Took it to the lake today first time, started running it, but after about a minute it choked and since then I was not able to restart it. Checked for the spark, present and strong. Took of flame arrest and used carb cleaner, still no luck. Starting fluid, same result. I'm thinking old gas clogged the carburetor and now I need to rebuild it. So my questions are,
1. How could i check if it is a carb problem, before i rebuild it?
2. Is there any way to restore the fuel, if it is old?
3. I noticed there was no fuel filteron the line, should I put one in?
Thank you

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Common thing to think that bad fuel can be resolved with fresh fuel added. Very few get away with that idea to be honest. Usually always means carb clean at least and emptying tank out. Not hard to do. That’s what I’d be doing.
onviously assuming that compression is good on the engine firstly.

dlogvine

Common thing to think that bad fuel can be resolved with fresh fuel added. Very few get away with that idea to be honest. Usually always means carb clean at least and emptying tank out. Not hard to do. That’s what I’d be doing.
onviously assuming that compression is good on the engine firstly.
Compression is decent 125psi in each cylinder. After changing the fuel lines , cleaning and rebuilding carbs, I will empty the tank, and get new fuel.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Rig up a remote tank to run off a different fuel source see if it runs differently?

stylesabu

did you pull plugs? should have tried to start on starting fluid unless spark plugs are to wet. i would check fuel first

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
did you pull plugs? should have tried to start on starting fluid unless spark plugs are to wet. i would check fuel first
Get your thinking but not sure I could agree with the starting fluid idea. Not on a 2 stroke. Could easily go wrong quickly

dlogvine

i had to replace the starter solenoid, since I turned it on and the starter kept spinning without ignition. At first I could not figure out why the cranking is going on, by the time I realized it was the starter going, almost smoked the battery and looks like smoked the starter. After I replaced the solenoid, can get only a clicking noise from the starter. That would be my next repair.