1994 Mercury 25 - Low Compression Bottom Cylinder

scout-j-m

Chief Petty Officer
A few weeks back I bought a Mercury (Tracker Branded) 25 hp long shaft. Ad said it's a 1994 model, which seems accurate but I'm not 100% sure how to cross reference the serial number (0G092027) to the year. I do know that the serial range means it is a chrome lined bore and not mercosil, per my shop manual. The motor is an electric start with pull start and controls but seller had no way of testing e-start and was in a very difficult position to pull it to get compression readings. I could tell the bottom cylinder was lower though as it climbed much slower after a couple pulls than the top one. Spark test was excellent though. I bought it anyways hoping it could be salvaged. Price wasn't a steal or anything but I can get my money back plus a little if I decide to take the time to part it out and list items, so a good project with not much financial risk.

Once I got it home I hooked up the electric start and got 120 psi on the top cylinder and a little over 90 on the bottom. Sprayed some wd-40 in both plug holes to see if maybe it was a ring sticking and retested later on and no change. Used a cheap borescope that feeds video to my phone and really couldn't make out any scoring to the cylinder walls but it was hard to tell....maybe that chrome bore is harder to inspect as it was like looking in a mirror with a flashlight pointed back at you. I could make out that the tops of the pistons were only about 60% carbon covered so rings sticking didn't seem too likely. I pulled the exhaust cover/water jacket plate and could see some light scoring on the bottom piston at the exhaust ports. The rings themselves looked fine though. I have yet to pull the other 2 covers on the exhaust side or the intake port covers to inspect.

I plan to go through it like I would if compression was good to see if it will run and to help verify what all parts are good and marketable. I already verified the electric start is working. The lower turns and shifts smoothly and I already pulled it and it passed a pressure test and just needs a new impeller, gear oil, and drain/fill gaskets. I tested the thermostat and it's working although one of the thermostat cover bolts had been broken off and someone had basically epoxied or RTV'd that broken bolt in place which is suspicious. The motor itself is clean in terms of being free of caked grime from evaporated premix fuel but is loaded down with dirt dauber nests and mess that need to be cleaned up. Motor included an unopened OEM carb kit which is $100 on most parts sites so hoping I can clean the carb and save that.

Now that I laid out the backstory, here are my questions for those more familiar with theses specific models:
  1. Given the compression numbers, the piston scoring, and this being a chrome lined block, is the block junk now? Or is it possible the rings may be partially stuck and the motor could be tuned up and a decarbing could maybe help those lower compression numbers? Since you can't bore or hone these chrome lined cylinders, could new rings possibly help?
  2. If the block is junk, what other year model powerheads would be interchangeable? There are a fair amount of used powerhead shortblocks from the previous generation motors that look very similar aside from lacking a thermostat. Is it possible to do a block swap with an older model? If it would all bolt up correctly would it then be able to use my ignition system which has the automatic electronic timing advance within the CDI?
  3. Whether the block is junk now or not, what can I look for as to the culprit of the low compression numbers on the bottom cylinder? Motor doesnt have any visual signs of overheating on the exterior. It's a single carb motor, so I assume it wasn't a lean condition...at least not from the carb. Are the crank seals prone to failing on these? The top few inches of the driveshaft had some unburnt fuel/oil on it but not enough to make me think lower seal was leaking. Current impeller has set up into a cupped position but is fully intact. Plugs that were included were brand new so can't infer anything from them. What else should I check out?
Sorry for the long post. I like to be thorough and describe my situation and efforts the best I can. I'd really like to get this motor fixed vs parting it out because I'd like to keep and use it myself if I can.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You can jump up and down all day long hoping for a fix.-----But I say the motors has to come apart for inspection / evaluation.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If it's a 2 stroke motor that old, your last chance to better compression is to start with a long decarbonizing process. Buy a can of Marine Decarbonizer, Engine Tuner CRC brand, hopefully will up compression numbers after a long wot run as if stealing the boat/motor combo. Follow instructions to the letter and report if bettered compression and by how much if finally did so ?

Happy Boating

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Forget about trying to get the compression up the motor needs to come apart. After it is apart take Muriatic acid and clean the bore to see if the chrome is flaking off.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Forget about trying to get the compression up the motor needs to come apart.
Will not know if the decarbonizing procedure will work or not, for that must tried it, what if the lower cylinder has some form of sticking rings through all those years burning 2 stroke oil.

It's entirely to the OP if wants to go that route, I doubt he will tear his powerhead down if something else can be tried for peanuts cost before being that dramatic. And as the sayings says : Nothing to lose, much to win...

Happy Boating

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Will not know if the decarbonizing procedure will work or not, for that must tried it, what if the lower cylinder has some form of sticking rings through all those years burning 2 stroke oil.

It's entirely to the OP if wants to go that route, I doubt he will tear his powerhead down if something else can be tried for peanuts cost before being that dramatic. And as the sayings says : Nothing to lose, much to win...

Happy Boating

Did you read the part about the scoring in the piston? Will your magic decarb fix that.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
A few weeks back I bought a Mercury (Tracker Branded) 25 hp long shaft. Ad said it's a 1994 model, which seems accurate but I'm not 100% sure how to cross reference the serial number (0G092027) to the year. I do know that the serial range means it is a chrome lined bore and not mercosil, per my shop manual. The motor is an electric start with pull start and controls but seller had no way of testing e-start and was in a very difficult position to pull it to get compression readings. I could tell the bottom cylinder was lower though as it climbed much slower after a couple pulls than the top one. Spark test was excellent though. I bought it anyways hoping it could be salvaged. Price wasn't a steal or anything but I can get my money back plus a little if I decide to take the time to part it out and list items, so a good project with not much financial risk.

Once I got it home I hooked up the electric start and got 120 psi on the top cylinder and a little over 90 on the bottom. Sprayed some wd-40 in both plug holes to see if maybe it was a ring sticking and retested later on and no change. Used a cheap borescope that feeds video to my phone and really couldn't make out any scoring to the cylinder walls but it was hard to tell....maybe that chrome bore is harder to inspect as it was like looking in a mirror with a flashlight pointed back at you. I could make out that the tops of the pistons were only about 60% carbon covered so rings sticking didn't seem too likely. I pulled the exhaust cover/water jacket plate and could see some light scoring on the bottom piston at the exhaust ports. The rings themselves looked fine though. I have yet to pull the other 2 covers on the exhaust side or the intake port covers to inspect.

I plan to go through it like I would if compression was good to see if it will run and to help verify what all parts are good and marketable. I already verified the electric start is working. The lower turns and shifts smoothly and I already pulled it and it passed a pressure test and just needs a new impeller, gear oil, and drain/fill gaskets. I tested the thermostat and it's working although one of the thermostat cover bolts had been broken off and someone had basically epoxied or RTV'd that broken bolt in place which is suspicious. The motor itself is clean in terms of being free of caked grime from evaporated premix fuel but is loaded down with dirt dauber nests and mess that need to be cleaned up. Motor included an unopened OEM carb kit which is $100 on most parts sites so hoping I can clean the carb and save that.

Now that I laid out the backstory, here are my questions for those more familiar with theses specific models:
  1. Given the compression numbers, the piston scoring, and this being a chrome lined block, is the block junk now? Or is it possible the rings may be partially stuck and the motor could be tuned up and a decarbing could maybe help those lower compression numbers? Since you can't bore or hone these chrome lined cylinders, could new rings possibly help?
  2. If the block is junk, what other year model powerheads would be interchangeable? There are a fair amount of used powerhead shortblocks from the previous generation motors that look very similar aside from lacking a thermostat. Is it possible to do a block swap with an older model? If it would all bolt up correctly would it then be able to use my ignition system which has the automatic electronic timing advance within the CDI?
  3. Whether the block is junk now or not, what can I look for as to the culprit of the low compression numbers on the bottom cylinder? Motor doesnt have any visual signs of overheating on the exterior. It's a single carb motor, so I assume it wasn't a lean condition...at least not from the carb. Are the crank seals prone to failing on these? The top few inches of the driveshaft had some unburnt fuel/oil on it but not enough to make me think lower seal was leaking. Current impeller has set up into a cupped position but is fully intact. Plugs that were included were brand new so can't infer anything from them. What else should I check out?
Sorry for the long post. I like to be thorough and describe my situation and efforts the best I can. I'd really like to get this motor fixed vs parting it out because I'd like to keep and use it myself if I can.
Look for carbon plugging in the exhaust. The earlier model blocks may not have the Bung for staking the stator in place you will need to look at that. Stay away from the non thermostat models. I personally would start with tearing yours down first before anything.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Did you read the part about the scoring in the piston? Will your magic decarb fix that.

Nope the post was to long to read, if suspect having carbon build ups, pluggins in the entire exhaust area CRC will disolve it, if not will send my personal Witch Doctor to take over...

Happy Boating

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Nope the post was to long to read, if suspect having carbon build ups, pluggins in the entire exhaust area CRC will disolve it, if not will send my personal Witch Doctor to take over...

Happy Boating
If you can't be bothered to read the whole thing then stay on the sidelines.

scout-j-m

Chief Petty Officer
Sorry for not checking back in and thank you for all of the replies.

The new impeller and gaskets for the lower unit came in the mail yesterday. I'm going to service it and get it back on the outboard asap. I got some new gaskets for the exhaust cover since they tore when I removed it but before I install them I will pull all of the covers off and get some pics on here for yall of the damage. I'd like to get it all back together to get it running enough that I can verify its pumping water good and that the spark stays good once it warms up so I have a better idea of the condition of the ignition system. Once I get that done, I will tear into it.

I'm not familiar at all with these mercury blocks - chrome lined or mercosil. From a reply above, does the chrome lining flake off rather than score like a standard honed steel sleeve? Guess I don't know what to look for, especially when I'm looking at a low quality image on my phone screen. I'll say I'm not a fan of not having a cylinder head to be able to remove for inspection.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
On a chrome bore block, a lot of the time what you are seeing as scoring is actually aluminum transfer from the piston. That is why you take it apart and clean it with muriatic acid. Muriatic acid will eat the aluminum away and could leave you with a perfectly fine bore. Muriatic acid does not eat away chrome. If the chrome is gone or flaking the acid will eat into the the block itself leaving you divots. This will tell you if the chrome is bad. It will serve no purpose to trying to get it running without addressing the scoring. Having a head or not does not really affect you, your problem requires motor disassembly. Same as a motor with a head.

Last edited:

scout-j-m

Chief Petty Officer
On a chrome bore block, a lot of the time what you are seeing as scoring is actually aluminum transfer from the piston. That is why you take it apart and clean it with muriatic acid. Muriatic acid will eat the aluminum away and could leave you with a perfectly fine bore. Muriatic acid does not eat away chrome. If the chrome is gone or flaking the acid will eat into the the block itself leaving you divots. This will tell you if the chrome is bad. It will serve no purpose to trying to get it running without addressing the scoring. Having a head or not does not really affect you, your problem requires motor disassembly. Same as a motor with a head.
That makes sense. Thanks.

So you advise against trying to get it to run and go straight into tear down? I was wanting to verify the ignition system was good apart from just the static spark test....however, the lower and electric start assembly is all in really good condition and I guess selling those would likely recoup my money in the event the block is bad and replacements are too $$$ or not available.

scout-j-m

Chief Petty Officer
How much are you paying for these? If your block is good you can fix it for less than $400
I originally saw one that would be a direct fit for $300 shipped, but it has since sold. That's about the going rate of the older XD style models with no thermo I'm seeing now. Haven't seen an exact match to mine in a few weeks though.

I haven't had the time to do any more with it as things have gotten busy with us having a baby 3 weeks ago and a swell of farm chores popping up since then as well. My other kids are out of school for the summer next week and they finished up spring sports Saturday so I should have way more free time in the near future to make some headway.