1994 Force 120HP tilt and trim questions.

kbh121956

Chief Petty Officer
The tilt and trim will work as it is supposed to but, at times it is very slow and growly sounding and not smooth but bounces. Battery is fully charged, fluid is clean, control is new. I did bypass the control and it will still run slow and noisy. I have changed the fluid several times and it comes out clean each time. My question is, is the electric motor itself going out? Thanks for the help.

Jiggz

Captain
For a starter, check the source of the noise using a mechanic's stethoscope. If it is coming from the motor, it could be worn out bearings from the motor. If it is coming from the pump it could be worn out o-rings. And finally, if it is coming from the rams, it could be a bend shaft.

kbh121956

Chief Petty Officer
For a starter, check the source of the noise using a mechanic's stethoscope. If it is coming from the motor, it could be worn out bearings from the motor. If it is coming from the pump it could be worn out o-rings. And finally, if it is coming from the rams, it could be a bend shaft.
When it does it, you can feel it in the motor. It doesn't do it all the time. It also doesn't bleed down. I have left it up all the way and in the morning she's still up all the way.

topgun3690

Ensign
Could be air trapped in the system.....you said you changed the fluid several times. Did you bleed the system real good? And use SAE 30 non detergent oil?

Jiggz

Captain
When it does it, you can feel it in the motor. It doesn't do it all the time. It also doesn't bleed down. I have left it up all the way and in the morning she's still up all the way.
I see. This is with the assumption you used the correct type of fluid and that you did not overfill it. You can actually overfill the system if you try to top off the fluid while the tilt and trim are in a out position. Make sure when you top off the system, both tilt and trim rams are in full down position. To bleed the system just remove the fill valve and cycle the system to its full out and all the way back down a couple of times.

kbh121956

Chief Petty Officer
I see. This is with the assumption you used the correct type of fluid and that you did not overfill it. You can actually overfill the system if you try to top off the fluid while the tilt and trim are in a out position. Make sure when you top off the system, both tilt and trim rams are in full down position. To bleed the system just remove the fill valve and cycle the system to its full out and all the way back down a couple of times.
The service manual called for ATF. My other Force/Chryslers used a 30 WT. non detergent motor oil. This outboard uses the Mercury tilt. On the fill cap it states that the system is under pressure when all the way down and to fill it, the outboard should be all the way up?

kbh121956

Chief Petty Officer
Jiggz I see what you said. I believe this was filled to full and they used the wrong oil. This is from a Force Service Manual.

Attachments

• DSC00578.JPG
    DSC00578.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 18

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Yes the motor is probably bad.
I bought a used 225 Mercury and the T@T sounded HORRRRRIBLE.
Turns out it had a hole in the side and salt water was getting into the motor.
Surprised it worked at all.

Jiggz

Captain
Jiggz I see what you said. I believe this was filled to full and they used the wrong oil. This is from a Force Service Manual.
So your best recourse for now is to remove the fill plug and then lower the tilt and trim all the way down. Standby for excess fluid from the fill hole. Then you can replace the fill plug and hopefully this will fix the problem.

kbh121956

Chief Petty Officer
Update, replaced the tilt/trim motor, and the problem is cured. Problem is the new motor is a Chinese brand, seems you can't get one made here anymore. I have the old and will see if it can be rebuilt.

Jiggz

Captain
Does it look like the old motor took in some fluid? This is one of the consequences of overfilling the unit. If it does not have any sign of fluid intrusion, then it can be rebuilt assuming the problem is just worn out mechanical parts like brushes, bushings, etc.

kbh121956

Chief Petty Officer
Does it look like the old motor took in some fluid? This is one of the consequences of overfilling the unit. If it does not have any sign of fluid intrusion, then it can be rebuilt assuming the problem is just worn out mechanical parts like brushes, bushings, etc.
I didn't take the motor itself apart but I put power to it and found that the brushes are worn. It will run and then start to jerk. I would say that the bushings/bearings are also bad. There is a Generator Exchange shop in town that rebuild small electrical motors, I drop it off to them.