1994 Force 120 Low compression on top cylinder

Nordin

Commander
Maybe you are right in your calculation but that is for a whole rebuild of the engine.
If only one cylinder is bad just rebuild that one with rebore, new piston with rings and with new gaskets that you can not reuse.
Cleaning the carbs and new gaskets for the them.
You do not need to put in new bearings if they are in good shape.
Labor for this 16 hours and parts about 3-350 dollars.
Rebuilding a 30 years old engine at a workshop for 120 dollars an hour that would cost dollars.
A used engine for about 5000 dollars is maybe a better choice.

stakultexsun

Cadet
Thanks Nordin and all. yeah, it is/was a tough call with a lot of deliberation. I'd say that assuming this guy does a good job, I think it will be money well spent (not investment wise). We used to go to the lake nearly every weekend during the summer from 1981 till about 1993 or 1994. We had 3 boats during that 12 to 13 year time frame.

My age was 5 when we begin going. Dad taught us 4 kids (I'm oldest) to ski, kneeboard, tube. that first boat was 1981 V.I.P. with an Evinrude 115. It got rebuilt sometime within the first 5 or so years of use. That boat probably had the equivalent of 400,000 miles on it lol.

I believe in 1991 or 1992, dad bought a very clean 1971 or 1972 Trihull with a 351 Windsor V8. LOVED that boat, but it drank gas like nobody's business. We'd go through 28 gallons in a few hours.

He traded that in and got this 1994, I graduated high school then, and that boat got very little use after probably 1996. It probably has the equivalent of 80,000 miles or less.

None of these boats had hour meters.

I don't have a boat :( I've been wanting one for a long time. Went and looked at this one. The wife is/was interested. But she really wants a pontoon boat (yuk! I like them, but they're huge and can't pull a skiier, and if so, the wake sucks!

Daydreaming:

I would prefer a 150horsepower.

Don't really want to spend that much, would prefer $15,000 range, but afraid to buy one that will need a major engine repair.

stakultexsun

Cadet
so, Motor rebuilt... right at 6 hours (during break in period), my father was following all break in procedures diligently. Lost power on the way back to leave lake...# 2 cylinder is worse looking than # 1 ever was. Looks like it will need another rebuild, which probably isn't possible since it has already been rebuilt.

That said, what the hell could this guy have done wrong? Metal shavings in cylinder 2. looks like ring pieces.

My dad saw exhaust coming out of water ports. prior to this happening.

So, what excuse can this guy try to explain this failure? My father paid for a complete rebuild!!

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Was it a Shop that did the Rebuild, or just some guy who said he he could? Was whatever what caused the First Failure, fixed? If not, the rebuild was on borrowed Time from the start?

stakultexsun

Cadet
This guy is/ was a reputable boat repair guy. I don't recall him telling my dad what caused the initial fail. He supposedly rebuilt from 0, so any issues causing this should have been addressed, ie thermostat, clogged water jackets, etc

stakultexsun

Cadet
my father is dealing with him. He took the boat back to the guy to have him look at it...should be under warranty. Just wondering what excuses this guy might come up with.

For all I know, he's going to make it right and all that, I just don't know how he can. Full refund would be in order as far as I'm concerned.

This is the worst case scenario, and why I hate hiring anyone to do anything!

if he gives full refund, that will probably make it ok. we just give up on this motor for sure.

topgun3690

Ensign
He can "make it right" if he wants to.....hope he does for your sake. A full refund would be the best you could hope for.
I will add that these old Force/Chrysler motors are only practical to own if you can do all of your own work.

Last edited:

Nordin

Commander
My opinion about what have gone wrong is!!
If it was rebored, is it rebored to right spec.?
Has he checked the ring gap?
What mixture have you run at the break in period?
How has the break in been done?
Speed, load, RPM?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Water pump should have been replaced.-----Thermostat tested.----Carburetors should have been cleaned.

stakultexsun

Cadet
I do not know the specs of the ring gaps and all that. He had my dad run double the oil , varying speeds, loads, etc. I don't know all those details, as my father is 2.5 hours away, but I can assure you he did whatever the man told him to do.

I know the water pump is/was good. He should have tested and/or replaced thermostat. If carbs weren't part of it, he should have told him they needed to be rebuilt or cleaned. I would assume he would have done that or at least verified they were fine.

UGGHHH!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Motors also need the correct prop .-----Props " attach " to the motor but " fit " the boat / type of use the boat gets.