1994 Evinrude 140 V4, lower unit problem

DonSSDD

Cadet
Had the boat out today, while cruising along at about 3000 rpm, the "transmission" slipped is how I would describe it. The prop stopped turning and the boat slowed like I had dropped it back in neutral. The motor over revved to about 5000 rpm. Pulled back into neutral, put it slowly into forward, it worked OK, but slipped again once the RPM got above 2000 or so.

I could putter along at 1000-1500 rpm, but push it higher and it would slip/let go under that load.

Any guesses what it could be?

The only unusual issue in the past is the motor will sometimes start in the forward gear. It feels like I have shifted to neutral, but when it starts, the prop is moving.

Could the slip be connected? As in the gear selector/throttle position is not quite right and the slip comes from the gear slipping into neutral under load?

No idea myself, just guessing at the possibilities.

Thanks for any help.

Don

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Props have a rubber clutch connecting the brass hub to the propeller housing. These do wear out, and act as you have described. The test is to mark the hub and the prop housing with matching marks and test the motor under load. After she slips, look at the match marks. If they no longer match, have the prop rehubbed or replaced.

If that is not the issue, the gearcase is the next likely culprit.

DonSSDD

Cadet
That was it, I went out this morning, marked the shaft and prop, went about 3 boat lengths, it slipped. Checked the marks and they showed the prop was slipping. Got a replacement from a local dealer, had it fixed and working good a couple of hours ago.

Thanks for the perfect advice.

I owned my first boat about 13 years ago, replaced the prop on that boat once, after I dinged it on a rock. I was at a launch, it was a bit windy and the boat was slow starting, drifted too close to a rock before it started, and that was it. I am very careful with my prop not taking chances of hitting anything. This prop came with the old boat I bought, it had seen better days. So after 13 years, I am certainly still getting outboard education.

Don
Mahone Bay, NS