1994 Cobra SX drive...Prop seal replace labor estimate?

Jammer864

Petty Officer 2nd Class
After reading thru the shop manual on the prop seal replacement and knowing that the preloads need reset, pressure test, and yada yada yada, is the $1000 estimate that the shop wants to put in a new prop seal on my 94 Cobra SX drive excessive? At 100 an hour, I just cant see more than 3 to 5 hours on this job. Am I missing something?

Leo87

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1994 Cobra SX drive...Prop seal replace labor estimate?

I replaced mine on my '05 Volvo SX...not sure if it is different than yours but it was super easy. You do need a special tool to remove the bearing carrier. I think new is about $150. I tried to make my own but wasn't strong enough and broke. I ended up renting one for $50 from a local Volvo shop. It also came with the tool to push the seal in place. It is a quick job. An hour tops. As long as you place back the shim that came out, all you need to worry about is the torque. I went ahead and replaced the o-ring that goes around the carrier, and the prop shaft seal since I was already there. The o-ring was the one leaking for me. The seal was $22, and the o-ring $3.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

You in cental,Fl??? Profile???I'll do it for $750 Kidding.It's an easy fix.J

Jammer864

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you for your replies. I appreciate the input very much.