1994 celebrity with 4.3 Volvo Penta no start no crank

jeremyhale

Cadet
I been boating quite a bit this year already. Took my boat out the Friday before the 4th of July it ran perfect. Took boat out Sunday before the 4th of July and experienced no crank no start. Thought maybe the battery didn’t have enough juice so bought a new battery. Same issue, so bought new starter/solenoid. Same issue. Bought new relays, coil pack and spark plugs. Still same issue. Traced all wires and all wires seem good. It IS in neutral, and the carb is getting fuel. No sure what to do anymore at this point! When I turn the key on, gauges, radio, blower, bilge pump all come on.

alldodge

Staff member
You have a 1994 VP 4.3 what? (GL, GI, tec)

Need to test and not just throw parts at it
A parts cannon usually doesn't fix anything and can cause more problems

Have you checked the kill switch (man overboard lanyard)?
Normally if switch is pulled the gauges don't come on but just checking

Might also be the key switch
Need a voltmeter and measure power on purple wire when key is turned ON and also check if there is power on the Yellow/Rd wire when key turns to start

jeremyhale

Cadet
Yes kill switch is good, and the lanyard is intact. My next guess would be the ignition switch or maybe the circuit breaker in the back of the motor.

alldodge

Staff member
It wouldn't be the motor breaker because your gauges are powering up. If the breaker was the problem there would be no power to the gauges

Need to see where you have power and how much. Could be a bad ground or connection of Bat cables to block