1994 21' Proline 210cc (Deck issues)

leisjohn

Seaman Apprentice
Hello, Let me say that I'm a long time reader of this post. I need some help the deck is rotten in some areas and just sponge in others. I have been thinking of replacing the entire deck rather then piece it together. I already know that the transom is solid and it seems that the stringers are as well at least in the rear. Here are my questions..

1. 1/2" CDX plywood?
2. Epoxy or fiberglass Resin?
3. What size cloth should I lay?
4. How many layers?

Now comes the tricky part. I'm thinking of cutting the liner about 12" down from the cap and creating a 3 piece design similar to a Onslow Bay. There would be at least to supports on each side for support and to hide the fuel fill and mount speakers. If I make the cut then remove the deck and sides do you think the cap would be OK to cut in half in order to remove it. I know that I'm talking about alot of work but I will gain about 4-6" of foot space on both sides.

Thanks

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1994 21' Proline 210cc (Deck issues)

My first though was to go to North Carolina and buy a new one!!!
Just kiddin' - but to try and answer a couple of your questions.

1- No CDX in my opinion - too many voids in the plys. A good A/C or
A/B 1/2" would be better. However a sheet or two of Okume would be the cats meow.

2- Marine resin comes in basically two types. Polyester or epoxy. There is a VAST difference between them and their related costs. Need to search into that a little more and find your specific needs and pocketbook expenses.

3- 8 oz. should be fine if using either agent.

4- One layer is sufficient, two might be a little overkill.

As far as your last question is concerned I think you're right about it being a lot of work. For the limited amount of space you'll gain I just can't justify all of the labor and related expenses. But that's just my humble opinion. I wouldn't tackle it unless the boat means more to me than anything in the world.

leisjohn

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1994 21' Proline 210cc (Deck issues)

Hey thanks for the reply. I think that I'm going the Epoxy route with 1/2" A/B ply. I have gotten about 20yrd of 10oz cloth and 10yrd of 2oz (Free) that I'm going to use. I'm going to put the 2oz on the bottom side to ensure encapsulation and on all edges and hatch openings.

1. Cut old deck out leaving 6" lip of old floor all the way around
2. clear out old ply from the 6" lip
3. fit new ply under 6" lip using pb mix. these pieces will be installed so that I can lay a single piece up the middle of the boat.

I'm hoping that this lip will keep me from having to redo the nice bevel between the floor and the sides.