1993 Yamaha 40hp Electric Start

BugTosser

Cadet
Hi everyone, I am new to the BB. I just wanted to say thank you for all the information I have been reading today.<br /><br />Now, I am a newbie when it comes to OB motors so I could use some of your expertise.<br /><br />I have a 1993Yamaha 40ELRR (40HP) electric start with controls. I recieved this motor and boat for free from my work. This motor was purchased new in 1993 by my company and was used during the summer months on the weekend for short period. Then they let the boat sit, with the motor uncoverd in the elements since 1995-96.<br />The exterior of the motor shows oxidation but when I removed the cowling(hood) the motor look new. I got some advice from another board about how to get it started. I used WD40 to lubricate the outer parts and changed the fuel and added Seafoam. I also changed the lower unit oil. The oil from the lower unit was not milky but dark green. I also emptied the Oil for the gas(Oil Injected) and put new oil in it. New battery was also installed.<br /><br />When I turned the key, the green light for the oil came on. So I know that works. When I try to start it, it will turn over but will not start. When I spayed some starting fluid in the the carbs it fired right up but then it dies.It seems everything is in order and it sounds good when it does fire up for the few seconds. What else can be the problem? It seems like it is not getting any fuel. I pumbed the bulb tight and still it will not start. any thing else I can do ? Fuel pump, filter ?<br /><br />Any help would be appreciated.<br />Thank You.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1993 Yamaha 40hp Electric Start

Hi Bug Tosser.<br /><br />First: NEVER use starting fluid in a 2 stroke engine. It can destroy your engine. Use fuel premix.<br /><br />Second. If you haven't changed the water pump impeller, change it.<br /><br />Third. Go to FAQ and follow the troubleshooting steps in "Outboard Wont Start".<br /><br />You will almost certainly find lack of fuel to be the problem. <br /><br />Let us know what you find.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

BugTosser

Cadet

Thanks JB.<br /><br />I did all the FAQ, and It all passes. Now the fuel pump could be the problem so I will replace it, not sure how much, if it's cheap then might as well replace it. I will call the shop tommrow. I am hoping that will do it. I will be able to work on it this weekend, will see what happens.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> dude<br /> your carbs are nasty. remove the carbs and thoughroughly clean them, replace the fuel pump they are less than 40 dollars. two strokes are very critical about everything that goes through the carbs must help lubricate the rods,wristpins and piston skirts. old nasty gas leaves very large black gummy deposits just before tearing things up. if the carbs are clogged it tends to lean out the air to fuel ratio. that makes a lot of heat. heat is bad.<br /> rebuild the carbs replace the fuel pump and replace the water pump kit. the reason for not useing starter fluid is mainly due to if it wont start cause it has no fuel to burn it usually does not have oil to lubricate as well. starting fluid has no lubricants.. continued ese of it can lead to piston skirt failure.<br /> good luck and give this poor motor a chance in life :)

BugTosser

Cadet

Ok, got the fuel pump and replaced all the hoses from the pump to the carbs. cleaned the carbs and used seafoam as directed.<br /><br />It still will not start. I sprayed the premix into the carb and it fires right up. What should I do next? call a mechanic or trouble shoot some more. I know the Mechanics out here a spendy so I would like to try some more troubleshooting.<br /><br />I pump the bulb tight then removed the hose indiviually from the carb and I see fuel squirting out, so I know the fuel is at least reaching to the carb hoses.<br />From FAQ:<br />" If yes, you have inadequate fuel. Troubleshoot fuel system and review starting procedure."<br /><br />???? help :confused: <br /><br />Any one need a motor? :p

BugTosser

Cadet

Ok, I took the carbs out today and there was none to very very little crap in the carbs.<br /><br />I cleaned it well anyway and put it back , it still is not getting any fuel to the carbs.<br /><br />What gives now?<br />Could it be the Solenoid valve ?

BugTosser

Cadet

A big thank you for all the help and the past post. :) I found out that the carbs were fine not even dirty after sitting all that time, replaced a fuel pump, but did not need to and the motor has less then 200 hours(found out from the company manager who had the logs).<br /><br />It fires up like it just came off the showroom floor. :D <br /><br />Now the drum roll please......<br />I don't have the manuel and did not know about the Choke. :rolleyes: thats why it didn't start. :eek: <br /><br />Thank you guys for all the help and ideas.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> the reason for the fuel pump is that its rubber. sitting for so many years it will fail. if it starts pumping raw gas into the crankcase it will severly dilute the oil. with the fuel to oil ratio now way lean on oil, piston/rodbearing failure will happen.<br /> same as the water pump. the rubber will start crumbling and while its dying it will feed rubber chunks and chips to the power head.<br /> I was not telling you to spend money just to spend money. but if your not careful your first outboard will leave a bad taste and a hole in your wallet. you have a very solid engine. it has been neglected some so give it a chance<br /> good luck and keep posting

BugTosser

Cadet

I understand Rodbolt.<br />Thank you for all the help, I know what you mean, fix and take care of the little things now and it will be cheaper in the long run. :D