1993 seadooxp wont start

quietone69692

Recruit
i have a 93'seadooxp that wont start.ive had the carbs rebuilt,fuel tank ,fuel lines cleaned out.fuel pump rebuilt.its getting gas and also getting spark.seadoo repair shop said starter is bad and needs replaced.took it home and charged the battery and it sounds like it is turning over just fine to me.any help would be appreciated.

bigdaddypt

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1993 seadooxp wont start

Do a compression test. Cylinders should be 150psi approximately if your gauge is calibrated correctly, if not the readings should be within 10psi of each other. Make sure your battery is fully charged and take the plugs out and pour about a teaspoon of fuel into each cylinder. Put the plugs back in and see if it starts and stays running. Report back.

quietone69692

Recruit

i dont have a compression tester but seadoo said they tested it and it was fine.followed your instructions and put gas in cylinders and it did fire up.thank you for your advice.i tried firing it up again about 10 mins.later and it wouldnt fire up until once again i put gas in cylinders and it did fire up again. also battery dead after a few more attempts.i bought the battery about 8mths ago new and it hasnt been used except trying to start the seadoo.any advice on the ski not starting until gas is poured in cylinders and the quick dieing of battery???thank you.

bigdaddypt

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's great it fires up. This means you have spark and compression...so it is a fuel issue. Here's how you fix it. You either need your carbs/fuel pump rebuilt and/or there is air getting in the fuel lines somewhere. With a 19 year old ski, you're going to want to just take care of both issues. The reason, the old gray Tempo fuel lines that Sea Doo used for your ski do not mix well with ethanol. They will fall apart inside, and clog your fuel system and could actually toast your motor.

Replace all of the fuel lines with automotive line (this is ok for a PWC). Inspect all of the plastic line fittings to make sure none are cracked. Replace the fuel water separator filter and the bowl's oring (both cheap). Rebuild the carb and replace the needle and seat using OEM Mikuni parts. Don't use an aftermarket rebuild kit or you'll regret it. There is a video somewhere that I'll post the link when I find it that will take you through the rebuild process. If you're not comfortable doing it yourself, have someone do it. In the end, you'll basically have a completely rebuilt fuel system and it should run like a champ. Also, remove the fuel selector valve, inspect and clean. That thing can get nasty!

As far as the battery goes. With it running, throw a voltage meter on the battery to see what it's kicking out. It should be 14volts. You may need to give it about 1/3 throttle for the stator to kick on. Try that and report back. IF it's kicking out 14 volts, you're ok, and you just wore down the battery from cranking it. If not, then you have a charging issue which we can deal with after the fuel one. After you take care of the fuel stuff, it should fire right up with minimal cranking.

quietone69692

Recruit

seadoo wont start at all now.was told by genespowersport that needed new starter and battery as the starter was not turning over fast enough to start it.rerplaced battery and starter and it will fire but not start. starter wont turn over after trying to start,for a good 4 or 5 min. afterwards then seems like battery is dieing.just had it started and running the other day!!! help!!!thank you.

quietone69692

Recruit

found problem...front cyclinder filling up with oil.also oil running out the back of seadoo.dont know why.please help.

bigdaddypt

Petty Officer 1st Class

check all the oil hoses from the tank that go into the motor. there is a leak somewhere.

lexer440

Petty Officer 1st Class

You may find that you have leaking crank seals between piston and rotary valve, that would cause the crank to fill with oil which would fill cylinder on compression stroke. Cylinder full of oil would cause it to "lock up" and appear as if the battery was flat and unable to turn over. It would also give you false compression readings.
Get it checked by someone reliable that knows what to look for.

quietone69692

Recruit

if it is the seal between the rotory valve and the piston ,is there a way around it by premixed gas and oil???and if not,what am i looking at cost wise???please help!!!

lexer440

Petty Officer 1st Class

No, premixing will not solve the issue. You need to determine why the front cylinder fills with oil and correct it. Cost? dunno, worst case scenario is an engine rebuild, if you are not able to do that then most places will give you an estimate on cost. A friend of mine recently got a rebuild and his bill was $2700.