1993 Evinrude 30Hp. Good buy? pics included.

lester

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So anyways found this post on the craigslist for 1993 Evinrude 30 with all cables, controls, link arm, original keys, manual, and sales receipt. The motor is a longshaft, elec start, elec choke two stroke. Flywheel turns easily by hand, will shift easily, compression is 130psi per cylinder. The guy selling it doesn't have a gas tank since it was used on a bass boat with an internal tank and also doesn't have a stand to put it on to start it to show me it runs, but assured me he knew it would run and run well. He told me that the motor could not have more than 60 hours on it, but does suffer cosmetically from sitting in the sun for years. Under the cowling is very clean for this age motor and I felt like the gentleman was telling me the truth as he is the original owner with paperwork to show. He is willing to take $500 cash if it sells by this weekend(but I think I might be able to swing $400), other wise he told me he will just buy a tank, get new plugs, clean the carb, and clean the motor and resell for $1000 OBO, but he seemed like he didn't want to go to all of the trouble. I included some pictures. Thoughts? Anything specific to this motor I should look for if I decide to go out and buy it today or tomorrow? Thanks.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 0

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1993 Evinrude 30Hp. Good buy? pics included.

get it on a stand, you can use a rope and do a compression and spark check, it both are good. jump on it, or tell me where it is.

mmawonder

Seaman

That was my ad on craigs list, and I will never sell it to you for $400 sorry...

lester

Petty Officer 3rd Class

TD, how do I use a rope to do the compression test? This motor only has elec start.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

there is a grove and notch in the flywheel for you to wrap a rope around for emergency start. 3/16 rope, piece of broom handle with a hole drilled thru it, in the old days that is how we started them. remove the plugs, screw in the compression gauge, pull rope 5 rotation of the motor, like you want it to start. then do the other one. i would want it to build up close to 100 on both cylinders.

Attachments

• flywheel.JPG
    flywheel.JPG
    10.8 KB · Views: 0

jasper60103

Commander

lester,
That sounds like a good deal.

If you can't find a stand, ask the guy if he has a garbage or recycle can to clamp her on. Bring your own if you have to!
Also, bring some jumper cables and crank her off your car battery.

Whoopbass

Senior Chief Petty Officer

That was my ad on craigs list, and I will never sell it to you for $400 sorry...

LOL....You had me going.

I don't think he could get $1000 on Craigslist but $500 is a good price.

lester

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So as of this afternoon I am the proud new owner of my first Evinrude. We pulled this motor out of the back of his truck, hooked up the battery gave it some new gas and with the very first turn of the key started right up. Let it run for awhile and then checked compression which was exactly 120psi per cylinder. The motor starts, idles, throttles, shifts and pees well. Also no water in lower unit oil. I was so impressed with how it was running I didn't even try to offer him less than $500(asking price). I guess it is time to get it on the back of the boat and do some water tests. Thanks for the help guys, this is the first outboard I have ever bought that I felt like I almost knew what I was doing when inspecting.

TD-thanks for letting me know about that rope start option. I will keep a spare in the boat in case my battery dies.

jbjennings

Captain

Congratulations Lester,
That's a really nice motor and I'm sure you're going to like it. I especially like that color scheme on the '93. I have virtually the same motor ('99 30hp johnson) and it's been a great motor---coincidentally the only motor I've ever bought brand new.
That was an AWESOME deal, BTW. You did GOOD!:D
JBJ

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

Honestly, I'm a bit jealous...you did well!

MAS