1993 650 Waverunner III...duh duh duh...will not rev up

RandyJ

Master Chief Petty Officer
At wits end!!!! I piddled with this thing the last 1/2 of last summer to no avail. It ran okay (never perfect) last summer then developed this problem after it got to where it would slow down then stall. Now it starts fine and idles smoothly, but when I accelerate it smokes like a tar kettle, sounds like it is running on one cylinder 99% of the time... the duh,duh,duh, rhythm of the engine when accelerating makes me think it is firing occassionally (maybe on one cylinder) when accelerating. I've done everything I can think of to check it out. I've swapped carbs with two other ski's, used an ohm meter to compare readings on 2 otherCDI's and coils. I've done so much checking I can't remember what I have or have not done. Compression is equal on both cylinders (110 psi). I have not checked anything under the flywheel (too hard to get to)...not sure how to check timing. If there is a rev limiter that sounds like it could be a source of the problem since it runs great at idle but will hardly pick up RPM's and smokes like crazy when I open the throttle... it may even be reducing RPM's when opening throttle.
One thing I've noticed is that choking it seems to have no effect... as if maybe it's choked already or sucking air somewhere else... seems like a clue since it's smoking like crazy alot of the time. This particular ski has the oil injection lines going into the reed block or carburator base rather than as some, at the top of the carb. I'm wondering if maybe it has a leak between crankcase and carb (or in crank case...no smoke getting in engine compartment tho')

HISTORY of this ski: Bought a pair of them 4 years or so ago. This one sat out back with the starter torn apart. I had to buy a reduction gear (we call it a bendix/starter drive gear). It started okay most of the time. The starter froze up and I got a used starter off of ebay that cured the problem. Just as I got the starter problem fixed it started this slowing down thingy then got to just not accelerating at all....smoking like crazy. I've put a kit in the carb, swapped carbs with good running ski's, did the clean plug routine, check compression.... everything I know of.... any ideas PLEASE?

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1993 650 Waverunner III...duh duh duh...will not rev up

did you check for blockage in the exhaust system?and how old is the fuel sure sounds like it could have sour fuel or water in the fuel, just had one that did similar things and the gas was sour as hell

RandyJ

Jeff said:
did you check for blockage in the exhaust system?and how old is the fuel sure sounds like it could have sour fuel or water in the fuel, just had one that did similar things and the gas was sour as hell
I thought about that but kinda checked it by accident. I was about out of fuel in the other waverunner (twin to this one) so I siphoned the gas out of it and put in the other... it ran okay but could tell it wasn't totally up to par....nothing like the other tho'.

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

I would totally clean the fuel tank and get any garbage at the bottom of it also, then use some fresh fuel and clean the system so only fresh fuel goes to the carb.

RandyJ

Will do that Saturday for sure... also gonna look for intake leaks.... the fact that it smokes so bad and appears to be having plenty of exhaust makes me question the possiblity of exhaust blockage but it's definitely worth looking into. I have an outboard gas tank rigged up to substitute the fuel system on waverunners so this may be the easy way to check the fuel system also!!!!

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

any intake leak usually makes those diesel real bad, it will scare you when it revs to max and won't turn off

SPARK PLUG BOOTS AND CONNECTORS. I have the same thing spent hours on it and it was a $3.00 part. Runs like new now. Good Luck

sammyparr1998

Recruit

SPARK PLUG BOOTS AND CONNECTORS. I have the same thing spent hours on it and it was a $3.00 part. Runs like new now. Good Luck

I have the same ski with the same problem did you ever get it fixed if so please let me know how.. thank you.

sammyparr1998

Recruit

I have the same ski with the same problem did you ever get it fixed if so please let me know how.. thank you.

akeith

Recruit

I also have the same problem. I don't see any confirmed fixes. Does anybody know of a fix or where else to look. Thanks

lexer440

Petty Officer 1st Class

If engine starts and runs smooth at idle you could try disconnecting the thermosensor in the electrical box, if engine revs up with it disconnected look for issues with the thermosensor and cdi unit.

Kdad

Cadet

I also have the same problem. I don't see any confirmed fixes. Does anybody know of a fix or where else to look. Thanks
Did anyone ever figure out what was causing this problem i have same problem