1992 XR6 150

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, I use a single cable teleflex steering system on my speedboat. I have not had any issues. The issue with cable and pulley system was that the motor would pull and overpower the springs I never saw that, although I had a fat fifty motor. I have not seen that on a single cable system.

BWR1953

Admiral
Well, the Uflex hydraulic system and a new steering wheel are now ordered.

Talk about Break Out Another Thousand... it was literally true this time. 😲

But the Seastar system would have been nearly double that much. 😵‍💫

The hydraulic unit will arrive in 2 days, the steering wheel in 5 days and the hoses will be 8 days. Once my buddy has the trailer adjustments done, I'll bring the boat back home so that the engine can be mounted, along with the jack plate and throttle. Once the engine is installed, I'll take it back to him to rig the steering and engine stuff to get it running again.

The goal is to get the boat operational and on the water by the end of this month. Gonna be close! 😐

BWR1953

Admiral
Gee, I use a single cable teleflex steering system on my speedboat. I have not had any issues. The issue with cable and pulley system was that the motor would pull and overpower the springs I never saw that, although I had a fat fifty motor. I have not seen that on a single cable system.
Yeah, I can't remember if my old 1984 Winner bass boat with a 150 Mariner had a single or dual Teleflex setup. And that was a 70MPH boat.

I do know that the donor Astro bass boat in my current project had a dual cable system on it, along with the XR6, straight from the factory. The XR6 was under-rated at 150HP. I've done a lot of reading about it and it's more like 170-175HP. The previous owner of the Astro was pulling about 70MPH on his boat, which was 400 pounds heavier than my old Winner.

Since I had to replace everything in the steering system anyway, it made it easy to switch to hydraulic.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
You know you keep talking about this trailer fitment like that did in high school that always had a really hot girlfriend that no one ever met...

Dukedog

Captain
thats what we used at first in '76.. when we started with tha performance improvements on tha V6 stuff it would bend tha control rod between tha cable and tha tiller arm.. went to dual opposed cables.. then to hydraulic or wire cable and pulley (referred to as "string" steering) thats completely different than that your referring to!.. both are used on todays V6 junk...................

Last edited:

BWR1953

Admiral
Okay, my senioritis kicked in again. I totally forgot to measure for and order new throttle and shift cables. :rolleyes:

Measure-Control-Cable.jpg

This morning I went out and measured the boat. "B" is 8 feet and "A" is 3 feet, 2 inches. I then added 2 more feet to go around the engine. That brings the total to 13 feet, 2 inches.

I've not done this before and what I found on the internet is a little conflicting. Some folks said to add 3 feet for engine movement while others said to add 4 feet. Adding 3 feet would bring me to a 16 foot cable, while adding 4 feet yields 17 feet.

Will 16 feet be okay in this instance? Or should I look for 17 feet?

And here are the cable ends. I'm guessing that they're Gen 1, right?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
The OEM of the cables usually has a guide to measurement of the cables on their web site. I would use that vs other non-oem sources.

BWR1953

Admiral
I checked the Mercury website, but no joy there.

Found these Teleflex instructions, so based on that, I'll order 16' cables.

IMG_2958.jpg