1992 Ski Centurion Falcon XP

Jamz33

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I just purchased a 92 ski centurion in the fall and I noticed it had 3 drain plugs. One in front of the engine and then 2 on the back, one on each side. I was just wondering the reason behind this. Thanks.

southkogs

Staff member
If I'm understanding you correctly, wouldn't those be the drain valves to drain the engine for winter?

ahicks

Captain
To let the water out? Kidding, no clue other than possibly there was a low point where water was collecting.

Jamz33

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm sorry I should have been more clear. There is a plug in the front of the engine (going thru the bottom of the boat) then 2 on the transom (one on the left and one on the right).

southkogs

Staff member
Why you have two garboard drains, I think is because it's an inboard with a pretty flat stern. Usually on V bottom boats you have a single drain at the lowest point of the bilge in the back. But the Centurion is pretty flat back there as a competition boat. Plus, as an inboard you have your exhaust coming out the back in the middle. Not certain that's the reason, but it's my best guess.

If the hole in front of the engine is going down through the hull out of the boat, I'm not sure ... don't recall that one. If it's going forward from the engine into the boat, that's to allow water from the bow to drain back to the bilge.

Jamz33

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Why you have two garboard drains, I think is because it's an inboard with a pretty flat stern. Usually on V bottom boats you have a single drain at the lowest point of the bilge in the back. But the Centurion is pretty flat back there as a competition boat. Plus, as an inboard you have your exhaust coming out the back in the middle. Not certain that's the reason, but it's my best guess.

If the hole in front of the engine is going down through the hull out of the boat, I'm not sure ... don't recall that one. If it's going forward from the engine into the boat, that's to allow water from the bow to drain back to the bilge.
Thanks for the answer. Yes the one in front is going thru the hull and it has a t handle brass plug that goes there. None of its a big deal, I was just curious.

Timr71

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a '93 Falcon XP. There's two drains on the transom because water can pool in those areas and typically won't flow across the flat back. The center drain in front of the engine will drain water from the bilge that is trapped forward of the engine...which is also where my bilge pump is. Also, the center drain can be used when draining oil from the engine. Just fish the oil drain hose through the opening and set up an oil dump to catch it.