1992 Mercury 150HP XR6 Won't run in Gear

I have a 1992 150HP XR6 that runs great in neutrel but when put into gear will only rev up to about 1100 RPM It sounds labored. The prop spins free in neutrel. Put new spark plugs in no difference. When motor is in neutrel at idle@850RPM there is no exhaust coming from down around the prop. I have to rev up the engine to get exhaust around the prop.<br />Looking for a direction. areelfinaddict@yahoo.com

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1992 Mercury 150HP XR6 Won't run in Gear

Howdy, RFA.<br /><br />Don't let what seems to be smooth idle fool you. You are probably running on 3 or 4 cylinders.<br /><br />Disable each spark plug, in turn. Good cylinders will cause a drop in rpm. Dead ones will make no difference.<br /><br />3 Dead cylinders on the same side usually means a bad powerpak. 2 Side by side usually means a carb problem.<br /><br />Let us know what you find and we'll go from there.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

Re: 1992 Mercury 150HP XR6 Won't run in Gear

JB<br />Thanks for the help you were right I had two cylinders dead(2 & 5). It was a carb problem. Took it apart and cleaned out dirt in the jets. Running well now.<br /><br />Thanks again :cool: <br /><br />Reelfinaddict