1992 Johnson 200hp no spark

Bevo2000

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all,
I have a 1992 Johnson 200hp model J200STLENS that has no spark in any of the cylinders. Is there anyone near the Dallas, Texas area who’s willing to come help me test the kill switch circuit, stator, trigger, power pack and voltage regulator (for a fee of course)? I have new stator, trigger, power pack and voltage regulator, but I need to test which parts are bad and only replace those.

The CDI power pack came with the instructions below as the first thing test and mine consistently shows greater than 2 VDC so I stopped. One user told me to do this "Unplug the main harness pull the plugs jump starter solenoid see if you have spark if so problem will be shifter interrupt switch or kill switch" but I have no idea where the main harness is so any help is greatly appreciated.

How to test the Engine Stop Circuit (Kill) for DC Voltage: 1. DC voltage present on the kill circuit of the Power Pack due to a faulty key switch, boat harness, or engine harness will severely damage the Power Pack’s internal kill circuit. Connect a Digital Multi Meter to the Ignition Stop wire AT THE POWER PACK while disconnected from the Power Pack in reference to a known good engine ground. Turn the Ignition switch on and off several times. If at any time you see over 2 VDC on the kill wire, there is a problem with one or both harnesses and/or the Ignition switch. The Ignition Stop wire should not be connected back to the new Power Pack at any point until the problem is corrected OR DAMAGE TO THE POWER PACK WILL OCCUR!

Bevo2000

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1992 Johnson 200hp model J200STLENS that has no spark in any of the cylinders. I am trying to troubleshoot one part at a time, and currently I am testing the stop circuit (using the instructions provided by CDI below). Can you all help point me to where the wiring "harness" or "harnesses" are from the attached diagram? If not in there, please tell me what it looks like and where I can find it.

How to test the Engine Stop Circuit (Kill) for DC Voltage: 1. DC voltage present on the kill circuit of the Power Pack due to a faulty key switch, boat harness, or engine harness will severely damage the Power Pack’s internal kill circuit. Connect a Digital Multi Meter to the Ignition Stop wire AT THE POWER PACK while disconnected from the Power Pack in reference to a known good engine ground. Turn the Ignition switch on and off several times. If at any time you see over 2 VDC on the kill wire, there is a problem with one or both harnesses and/or the Ignition switch. The Ignition Stop wire should not be connected back to the new Power Pack at any point until the problem is corrected OR DAMAGE TO THE POWER PACK WILL OCCUR!

Attachments

• 05C99424-F053-49B3-B82A-A5FCB2B40CF1.jpeg
    05C99424-F053-49B3-B82A-A5FCB2B40CF1.jpeg
    550.1 KB · Views: 3

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Check your cranking voltage first...a dragging starter or weak battery will cause no fire problem as engine has to turn 300RPM or more to generate spark.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Agreed-----Have battery condition checked / load tested.----Take starter apart for inspection and ohm test on armature.

Bevo2000

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks guys. This is the first time someone suggested checking the cranking voltage and battery. Battery is easy to check but taking apart the starter is probably out of my league. Problem is I took it to a mechanic last week and all he wanted to do was to replace all the ignition parts (stator, trigger, power pack, voltage regulator, coil, basically everything), without testing anything. I said not when he added that IF it still has no sparks then he'll check other things. What kind of mechanic is that?

Bevo2000

Seaman Apprentice
T
Check your cranking voltage first...a dragging starter or weak battery will cause no fire problem as engine has to turn 300RPM or more to generate spark.

Thank you. But can you help me with identifying the harness the instructions referred to?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
In my opinion the starter is easy to check.------Perhaps that was a " modern mechanic " who is on a bonus program say 2% of parts sold.---Not sure how to test these components either.----No sensitivity to customers wallet at all.