1992 Carver 33aft cabbin "need help"

anton_kot

Cadet
Hey guys i was on this forum two years ago when i had my first boat 2452 Bayliner, Now I need some help!!! Two Days ago I decided to buy a yacht that needs work. I bought a 1992 Carver 33 aft cabin. The problems that it has with it is the battery compartment got water in it after the snow storm in 2010. The canvas in the back broke fell and blocked the drain. the water started to come in through the door and got on the battery and shortened all 3 of them and the bilge pumps stopped working so the water got on the bottom of the engines and on the bottom of the generator. After that they cut all the positive wires, rewired the bilge pumps to work directly from the spare battery. Them the boat was winterized and never was attempted to start. The Engines were rebuilt 3 month before the storm I got all receipts for maintenance with the boat. Yesterday I spend 3 hours and cleaned all the battery wires and got all my electricity to work on the boat through the battery's. Now I dont know what to do!!! Should I drain and change all my fluids, drain the gas, and unwinterize the boat and try to start it? or should I check something else? The boat has twin 7.4 Volvo's. I am not a mechanic just trying to save some money and do few things myself. Thank You Anton.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1992 Carver 33aft cabbin "need help"

The boat has twin 7.4 Volvo's. I am not a mechanic just trying to save some money and do few things myself.

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,....
Yer kinda limited in what You can do, as everything takes Tools, 'n bein' a Non-mechanic, any tools are Special Tools...

You could probably Start by just Checkin' all the fluid levels,....
If any of 'em are High, there's probably water under whatever fluid yer checkin'...

'n, No doubt the drives oughta be Pulled, 'n Serviced....

Today, 03:50 PM #2
Bond-o
Today, 03:50 PM #3
Don S

:D :D :D

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Did you check the oil to see if it was way overfull?

anton_kot

Cadet

Oil is good, no water in it. How do I take off the drives? do I need to pull the boat out of the water? The tools I can get that not a problem. Should I flush the gas?

Don S

Post some pictures the engine area and in back of the engines. I doubt a 33 aft cabin boat has drives.

Don S

Oil is good, no water in it. How do I take off the drives? do I need to pull the boat out of the water? The tools I can get that not a problem. Should I flush the gas?

I didn't think it had outdrives either being an aft cabin, but since you asked how to take them off in this reply, I thought I would ask for some pictures.

Have you tried cranking the engines over to see if they will even turn? How long did this boat sit BEFORE the storm of 2010?

anton_kot

Cadet

Yea, the boat was used the whole summer before the storm, Both Engines were rebuilt 2 month before the storm, I have all receipts from this boat with proof. I am in the process of unwintirizing the boat. I dont know if the engines will turn over I am sure they should because the water marks are all the way on the bottom of the engines and i checked the oil no sighs of water in it.