1992 Bayliner 2252 vs 1991 Doral 230EX Cachet

Wellcraft170

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just wanted your guys unbiased opinions. I’m currently looking at a 92’ Bayliner 2252 classic cuddy with a 4.3 merc and also a 91’ Doral 230EX Cachet With a 5.7 OMC cobra

I’ve heard some bad reviews on OMC since they dont make them anymore and parts are hard to find and what not. I’ve owned a 4.3 before in my previous boat so I’m familiar with it and everything and obviously Mercruiser is reliable, easy to work on, etc. Both boats are turn key and water ready though. What do you think is the better purchase/investment in all honesty?

Hope everyone is staying safe and healthy!

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
With those options the Bayliner would be the only choice. But I would hesitate to buy a 28 year old boat because chances are it would be more expensive in the long run than a boat that was only 6 or 7 years old.

Wellcraft170

Petty Officer 2nd Class
With those options the Bayliner would be the only choice. But I would hesitate to buy a 28 year old boat because chances are it would be more expensive in the long run than a boat that was only 6 or 7 years old.

Thanks for the response! My budget right now is reflective on the year of the boat though lol. I’ve always had older boats as well so in that aspect, it doesn’t bother me as much

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer
There's no way I'd buy a boat with the OMC. But, you couldn't give me a 90's Bayliner. I've had enough experience with an '89 Bayliner to know that.

Wellcraft170

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The Bayliner is the 2252 Classic Cuddy. The guy wants 3K.. besides is being a little underpowered does anyone know any other negatives with pulling the trigger on it?
7a462f39-e2b6-4e24-923f-a6e42e3a925a

southkogs

Staff member
90s era Bayliners were not known for being well constructed. That's not a boat I would want to be stuck in rough seas with. Flat water on inland lakes, I'd be okay with it. But nothing where I needed the hull to take a punch or five.

Wellcraft170

Petty Officer 2nd Class
90s era Bayliners were not known for being well constructed. That's not a boat I would want to be stuck in rough seas with. Flat water on inland lakes, I'd be okay with it. But nothing where I needed the hull to take a punch or five.

Thanks for the info

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
The Bayliner is the 2252 Classic Cuddy. The guy wants 3K.. besides is being a little underpowered does anyone know any other negatives with pulling the trigger on it?
7a462f39-e2b6-4e24-923f-a6e42e3a925a

It's a 90% certainty that Bayliners of that era have rotten innards, thus needing a rebuild. I understand the price point, but if $3K is your budget, you need to plan on another $3 or $4K to make the boat usable. And that's just the hull. The mechanicals are another story.

Newbie@boats

Chief Petty Officer
Everyone always jumps to the conclusion since it’s an old boat it’s going to need to be gutted and reconstructed. While I’m sure that may be the case with most older boats but i have an 88 ranger bass boat that looks and performs like new.

it really comes down to condition....for 3k it could be a decent boat will it be perfect? Probably not. Will it work? I’m sure it will.

Wellcraft170

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Everyone always jumps to the conclusion since it’s an old boat it’s going to need to be gutted and reconstructed. While I’m sure that may be the case with most older boats but i have an 88 ranger bass boat that looks and performs like new.

it really comes down to condition....for 3k it could be a decent boat will it be perfect? Probably not. Will it work? I’m sure it will.

Thank you for the response back. That’s the mindset I’ve always had, just wanted to see what people’s opinions were. I’ve always like Older boats and the design verses new age boats but that’s just me!

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Thank you for the response back. That’s the mindset I’ve always had, just wanted to see what people’s opinions were. I’ve always like Older boats and the design verses new age boats but that’s just me!

Not just you, lots of us in the same group. That's why I own a boat that's goin' on 70 years old.

We hate to be negative, but we've just seen too many boats that looked pristine on the outside only to be a real disappointment after the new owner used it a few times.

Case in point my buddy bought a 1988 21' cuddy for $4k. It looked like a real good buy until he hit a wave and the captains chair brook free. The new floor, stringers, etc. was an unexpected $3900 repair. A Survey around here costs about $500, which would have been money lost since he would have rejected the boat. Or, you could say that the survey would have saved him $7400.

Wellcraft170

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Not just you, lots of us in the same group. That's why I own a boat that's goin' on 70 years old.

We hate to be negative, but we've just seen too many boats that looked pristine on the outside only to be a real disappointment after the new owner used it a few times.

Case in point my buddy bought a 1988 21' cuddy for $4k. It looked like a real good buy until he hit a wave and the captains chair brook free. The new floor, stringers, etc. was an unexpected $3900 repair. A Survey around here costs about $500, which would have been money lost since he would have rejected the boat. Or, you could say that the survey would have saved him $7400.

Wow that’s crazy stuff. Thank you for the insight

Newbie@boats

Chief Petty Officer
I absolutely love the older bayliner look. I used to own an 88 cuddy cabin maybe 19ft with a force outboard.

yeah the floor was soft. Boat served its purpose and I never had an issue with it.

just look it over good. Technically it’s a $3,000 gamble. But if you’re handy here and there it might not be a bad deal.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
80's bayliners were rotten in the 90's

80's and early 90's boats by all brands were made in the heyday of slapping them together and kicking them out the door to make money, not make good boats.

I wouldnt buy anything OMC

a soft floor means that everything below is rotten.