1992 25 hp Johnson pull rope fail

Taylorsville

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If its not one thing its another. The pull rope is making a weird slipping nose when I pull on it and I have to pull slow a few times to get it to wined back up so I could get a good pull on it. What should I do I have searched the treads and cant fine anything so if you know of another tread could you send me that way. the center screw in the pic is missing could that be a prob?

Attachments

• IMG_0985.JPG
    IMG_0985.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 0

larryg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1992 25 hp Johnson pull rope fail

that could be the first problem.get the nut for it .and see if it still does it.if so take out the 3 retaining bolts turn starter over and get a vicegrip and put on one of the protruding metal pieces to keep from unwinding.undo rope from starter.slowly turn assembly counter clockwise until tight,then back off some to put rope back in.put grips back on to stop from unwinding.put rope in tie properly and let it rewind slowly.this should do it.

Attachments

• disassembly of startor0002.jpg
    disassembly of startor0002.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 0
  • reassembly of starter0001.jpg
    reassembly of starter0001.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 0
  • disassembly of startor0001.jpg
    disassembly of startor0001.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 0
  • reassembly of starter0002.jpg
    reassembly of starter0002.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 0

Taylorsville

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Jasper60103 that is what i was loonging for. Thank you!!! awsome tread.

dew2

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If its not one thing its another. The pull rope is making a weird slipping nose when I pull on it and I have to pull slow a few times to get it to wined back up so I could get a good pull on it. What should I do I have searched the treads and cant fine anything so if you know of another tread could you send me that way. the center screw in the pic is missing could that be a prob?

It may be dirty in the recoil spring and the gear dogs are gummed up not letting them extend,A good cleaning would be the first thing I would do before buying any parts.