1992 25 HP Jhonson bad coils?

Taylorsville

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I started a thread a few months ago about my motor not running to speed. I checked the fuel lines added a new fuel pump,spark pluggs, fuel,cleaned out the carb and it still is doing the same thing. it will run fine at idle and sometimes run full throttle then it will only run like it is half throttle. The question is i want to know if it could be my ignition coil and if so are they hard to change it seams pretty easy but i do not want to over look it and find it to be a harder job then i thought. I would rather change the coils as a guess then pay someone to go over the motor it would be cheaper for me to do this. I would also like to add that it is hard to start sometimes as well.

I could get both coils for $ 40.00 and it would cost me at least $80.oo for someone to got over it. they way i see it they have never been changed so i think after almost 20 years they could get changed out.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1992 25 HP Jhonson bad coils?

You can use an inductive timing light to check your coils when the malfunction occurs. It will tell you if you have a fuel or ignition problem.