1992 20 hp no spark to bottom cyl, what could it be?

ntoracn@yahoo.com

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello guys and gals. ser#0A921206<br /><br />I just purchased a used motor and I went to test run it at home. It idled very rough and was slugish on power. I found only one cyl. was getting a good spark. Here is what I did.<br /><br />1. Compression test showed 95 psi in both cyls, motor is good.<br />2. After verifying it wasn't the plugs I swapped the coils, spark was still on same cyl, this told me both coils are good.<br />3. I then swapped both brown wires and the spark started firing the opposit coil. Is this the pick up coil or is the pick up coil the one next to it with the black wires coming out of it?<br />4. Any ideas on what year my 20 hp is?<br /><br />It appears this coil is bad? Or is the problem more likely the "power pack" or? What is the best manual to get?<br /><br />*NOTE* I can make both coils fire if I place a jumper wire accross both B+ coil wires.<br /><br />If any one has ANY other test that I can run to pinpoint the problem, PLEASE let me know.<br /><br />Randy<br />ntoracn@yahoo.com

ntoracn@yahoo.com

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1992 20 hp no spark to bottom cyl, what could it be?

Please help me. I hate to spend the $150 guessing if it's a switch box or not. Anything else to check why only spark to 1 cyl.?

IBFishing

Seaman

With the key in the "ON" position verify that you have power to both of the original B+ terminals. If one is not getting power with the key on, this is your problem and may have to run another wire to correct this problem. Both B+ terminals should have 12v to coils with key on and no voltage with key off. Hope this helps.

ntoracn@yahoo.com

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks IBFishing. It's not electric start (I wish it was), But I will check the voltage there anyways.

ntoracn@yahoo.com

Petty Officer 3rd Class

What A BUMMER! I just got a call from Mercury Marine and found out I got burned on this motor. The seller told me it was a 1992 model, when in fact its a 1986. He also told me it ran without any problems when in fact it probably needs a switch box @ $125. What a jerk!<br /><br />I would like to still confirm the switch box is faulty if anyone has a down and dirty way to test it.<br /><br />Thanks again.