1991OMC Cobra 5.0 loads down the engine when in reverse

SJM5604

Recruit
I have a '91 OMC that has been sitting for the past two years. The engine starts and runs fine, I checked it out in forward and it reves up fine but when I place it in reverse and star to rev up the engine it loads up like the out drive is locking up. Any ideas on the cause and a repair solution. I have not removed the out drive yet, just looking for some help before I start taking things apart.

Bondo

Staff member
I have a '91 OMC that has been sitting for the past two years. The engine starts and runs fine, I checked it out in forward and it reves up fine but when I place it in reverse and star to rev up the engine it loads up like the out drive is locking up. Any ideas on the cause and a repair solution. I have not removed the out drive yet, just looking for some help before I start taking things apart.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Is the drive Full of Oil,..??

Does it kill the motor, or just load it heavily,..??

SJM5604

Recruit
Thanks for the reply. Yes the lower unit is full of oil. I have the water hose adapter attached and a good water flow. In forward I can rev it up fine with no noise or vibration from the out drive. In reverse at idle it is fine but as I slowly rev it up it starts to load the engine down almost to a stall but I pull it back to idle before that happens.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
So this is on the muffs? I would unplug the ESA module and try it.