1991 superfisherman rebuild

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1991 superfisherman rebuild

Get a piece of 1 1/2" or 2" PVC pipe and shove it down to the bottom. Push the foam out and see if it's wet. And look in the hole for water at the hull. That'll do it.

Looks like a not so good foam job.

tincanman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Agreed.

I'd skip the core sampling and just pull it all otta there, and install new stuff.

kinda what I was thinking. I Really would like to gluvit the hull, and it will be hard with that foam in there.

GA_Boater

Then the foam has to go, Tin. Don't bother sampling and you won't be saving it anyway getting a bare hull for Gluvit.

dozerII

Admiral

What they said, get it out. I cut some core holes and it was like drilling a well they just filled with water. :facepalm:

tincanman

Petty Officer 1st Class

FOAM BE DAMNED!!! Got it out just before the rain. I will have to work on clean up another day. Foam from mid hull back was soaked about half way through. It needed to come out anyway.

DSCN0385_zps9a937e01.jpg

DSCN0384_zps1e7ae121.jpg

Now, how to get that fuel out of the tank so I can remove it...

DSCN0386_zps49f57346.jpg

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

Nice Progress!!

You have some support structure for your deck! 1/2 PLY will be rock solid!

GA_Boater

You made quick work on the foam. And avoided the dreaded wet by beating the rain. Or was it wet? Can't help with the tank removal but there is an SFM or two resto buried here in the forum.

tincanman

Petty Officer 1st Class

You made quick work on the foam. And avoided the dreaded wet by beating the rain. Or was it wet? Can't help with the tank removal but there is an SFM or two resto buried here in the forum.

I updated my previous post. The foam was wet, it needed to come out. The tank removal will be easy, but it's almost full of year old gas. I need to figure out how to remove close to 30 gal of fuel before I can remove it. Maybe I will go the "glass is half full" route and say there is only 25 gallons in there.

coolbikeguy

Chief Petty Officer

I updated my previous post. The foam was wet, it needed to come out. The tank removal will be easy, but it's almost full of year old gas. I need to figure out how to remove close to 30 gal of fuel before I can remove it. Maybe I will go the "glass is half full" route and say there is only 25 gallons in there.

what are you gonna do with that old gas ??? LOL

coolbikeguy

Chief Petty Officer

thats got to be one of the quickest... cleanest foam removals ive seen. some guys dig it out with shovels then have to scrape off whats left after that .... good job

dozerII

Admiral

I added 4 to 5 gals of the old gas out of my 201 to the GMC every tank full till it was gone, no problem.

tincanman

Petty Officer 1st Class

there is a lot of residue left on the hull. glue from the carpet, foam leftovers, etc. Whats the best way to clean up the hull. I'm going to clean the hull out and then pressure wash it, but for the gunk?? Angle grinder with a flapper disc or a cup brush on my drill?? Input appreciated.

GA_Boater

I would pressure wash for starters. A lot of the crud will be loosened and give you a better idea on what is still stuck. Carpet glue is a PITA, a couple of guys have methods that work better than others.

tincanman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Made a little progress today. She's as clean as I can get her w/o a pressure wash. I will hopefully do that tomorrow.

fuel tank out. Now I have a bunch of 5 gallon cans of old gas to use up.

DSCN0390_zps1b0bd2b5.jpg

DSCN0387_zpsb61efa7c.jpg

DSCN0389_zps22bde572.jpg

chad

tincanman

Petty Officer 1st Class

doing some pressure washing today.

this is about half an hour after I sprayed any water in the hull. this is the center compartment where the fuel tank was. Water drains from the outside of the hull to the center, but there is not a really good way for the water to drain out of here. Can I drill a few holes in the bulkheads to let the water through, or is that just the nature of the beast.

DSCN0392_zps2a3b1c50.jpg

Center section in front of the fuel tank compartment. Notch in the center allows water to drain, but once it reaches this level, it just sits.

DSCN0391_zps128d464c.jpg

picture of the bulkheads before I started power washing.

DSCN0390_zps1b0bd2b5.jpg

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Yah, you can punch some holes in those bulkheads to promote drainage, no sweat.

GA_Boater

It's odd that SC didn't put any holes in that bulkhead just inches from the bilge pump. Wonder if it's for containment in case of a fuel leak?

tincanman

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's odd that SC didn't put any holes in that bulkhead just inches from the bilge pump. Wonder if it's for containment in case of a fuel leak?

I was thinking that also. The compartment wasn't made to be watertight, it just drains into the bilge real slow. So a fuel leak would still end up getting into the bilge, but at a trickle. The fumes would still be there, so if you had a situation where its going to explode, it's going to blow anyway.

That being said, here's what I did to both bulkheads.

DSCN0394_zpsfcc5fbf2.jpg

GA_Boater

Ya fixed that! :D No water laying in there now.