1991 sea ray 170

ncskibum

Recruit
First post here!

i'm lookin at a 1991 sea ray 170 with the 4.3. Guy says it has fiberglass stringers but I thought the 91's were wood stringers. Also this one has a curved winshield and I thought 91's had an angled bend.

How can I determine the actual year?

Thanks

Walcott

Seaman
Re: 1991 sea ray 170

Check the title, if he is selling it to you he should be able to show you the title. make sure the numbers on the title match the boat( if any)

ncskibum

Recruit

Check the title, if he is selling it to you he should be able to show you the title. make sure the numbers on the title match the boat( if any)

Anyone know if the 1991's have fiberglass stringers? My biggest concern is wood rot.

ncskibum

Recruit

I downloaded the manual but it didn't indicate stringer type. Nice to have though if I follow through with the purchase! Thanks

Walcott

Seaman

No problem. sorry it did not help. i know some of the guys on here have this boat so i am sure one will be a long to help you out. good luck on your purchase.

badkins50

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I thought I read somewhere that the boating industry did not start getting away from wooden stringers until the late 90's and even then it was only a couple of manufactures? When it comes to the rot, I would personally get the boat professionally surveyed before buying it. For the year of the boat, take a look at the transom usually on the starboard side, up towards the top, the last 2 digits of the serial number is the year it was built. That size boat with a 4.3 should cruise pretty nice. Good luck

oops!

Supreme Mariner

yep.....wood stringers that have been glassed over......that is why the owner says they are glass.

but it matters not......start looking for rot. if you see it......you are buying a project......if you want the project.....then it should be priced accordingly