1991 Rinker seems like it runs out of fuel.

Twistedcherokee

Recruit
I bought a 1991 Rinker Captivia 206 Cuddy with a 5.7 Mag with a SEI 106 sterndrive. OD398408 engine serial # transom # OD466790. When I got it it would bog and not get going fast enough to get to trim out, after several minutes it would wake up and run the way it should. But then would go to fast and as soon as you back off the throttle, went right back to the engine bogging. I replaced the water separator filter ( it also looked new) and tried it again. Almost seemed to be worse. Got a carb rebuild kit, rebuilt the carb (there was nothing in it wrong, looked like it had already been replaced) became hard to start ( for some reason the accelerator pump was not pumping) but ran great but would fall flat on it's face the take off again, would repeat the cycle over and over. But if I pushed the accelerator pump down at an angle it worked. Bought a rebuilt carb. Starts fine but still falls on its face and the takes off for a few seconds and back down. I checked fuel pressure and it was around 4psi, noticed that the feed hose to the water separator was weather cracked bad, replaced it and the fuel pump, again the fuel pump looked new and had no wear on the lever. Still did the same thing. I bought an electric fuel pump and installed it by the tank and ran it threw the mechanical pump, no better. By passed the water separator, just ran a car fuel filter, problem solved. Not sure I should run it that way. Can a water separator (not the filter but the actual separator) cause this? I think the previous owner ran into this and traded it in. Bought it from a place that specializes in boats. Thanks for looking
Toby

harringtondav

Commander
I sounds like you isolated the problem by bypassing the water separating filter head. Might be worth removing it and checking for blockages.
I don't see any problems with your workaround, as long as there is only a SS line from your filter to the original mechanical fuel pump. ...better if you get the spin on filter to work. Fire hazard with rubber fuel lines near the engine.
....I'd get rid of the electric fuel pump and see if the original pump works on its own. ...You could be over pressurizing the carb float valve. ...flooding, spilled fuel, etc.

kenny nunez

Captain
I feel confidant that the problem may be with the fuel tank. The suction tube in the tank probably has a very fine tapered filter in the tube. They get clogged easy over time. Un screw the 90* fitting from the tank, the tube unscrews from the fitting, push a coat hanger wire through it to remove the filter and then pitch the filter. Be sure that the mechanical pump has the small nipple that connects a tygon hose to the rear of the carburetor.
I hope the rebuilt carburetor you purchased is for marine use and not an automotive type. I it is an automotive version you just increased your problem. And probably lost your marine carburetor.
Electric fuel pumps have to be wired through an oil pressure switch so that the pump only runs when the engine is running.

ROY WILLIAMS

Petty Officer 1st Class
The boat gas tank in the November gasoline out .... clean the filter/carb/fuel pump ... also that water separator every year .....
also the gas tank vent ...

airshot

Rear Admiral
Check for water in your fuel, if enough, it can bypass the filter. You could be buying bad fuel without knowing it. You can ask me how I know if you want. Siphon some out of tank and check it out !!

vroom ZOOM

Petty Officer 1st Class
I think you might need to try changing your plugs and distributor cap and rotor. Probably needs to be done anyways.

Twistedcherokee

Recruit
Checked the tank and the fuel, tank is clean and the fuel is fresh I put some fuel in a glass jar and no water. It is a marine carb that I got and with the water separator bypassed it ran great. So I don't think it's the pick up tube but will check it out before this spring. Thanks for helping, I do appreciate it. Toby

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
U may have your fuel pick up tube screen clogged. I removed mine after I had a similar problem. I let regular water separator keep fuel clean.