1991 pcm nautique not able to crank after major flooding from carb

Rugglesworth

Seaman
Looking at buying thus boat for a winter project. Brand new engine, 5 hours on a crate engine from Canada engines last summer, have all documents. Brand new risers and exhaust manifolds. List of some other things :
Brand new distributor ( from SKIDIM) and system.
brand new starter
brand new relay/solonid
brand new fuel pump
brand new battery cables
Brand new ignition
New filters and oil

Problem!!!

Had a bad flooding of fuel from the Holley carb float getting stuck on accident, since then, engine having a hard time cranking over, drains battery. Cranks over with plugs out no issues, but plugs in, it drains the battery and pulls a lot of load.

Any ideas what could be causing it? I'm wondering if the carb is still dumping large amounts of fuel into the intake causing this issue? The guy never changed the carb.

alldodge

Staff member
Either brand new starter is bad, or something is rusted up.

Start easy with pulling a valve cover, then the head based on what you find

Rugglesworth

Seaman
The problem is I'm considering buying it but it's in a different town. By flooding I meant with fuel. The previous starter did the same thing after the flooding issue and then he replaced it with a new one along with all other ignition components. It's a brand new crate motor with 5 hours on it. I can't see fuel rusting anything in a new motor. The guy said the carb float stuck and flooded the motor and it died. Then after it will hardly crank and then will kill the battery. The old one and a new battery. Same thing. He sent me a vid, I wonder if I can post it

Rugglesworth

Seaman
Either brand new starter is bad, or something is rusted up.

Start easy with pulling a valve cover, then the head based on what you find

Here's the video he sent. All parts replaced and same problem. Turns over fine with plugs out

alldodge

Staff member
Fuel would not cause what your seeing

5 hours on a new motor last summer

Looks like a weak starter or bad battery cables or rust. A motor will not do what this one is doing without a major problem.

Just because someone says it, doesn't mean its the truth. My guess is it wasn't winterized correctly last winter and water got in this summer on first outing

If I really wanted the motor then I would be willing to buy some new gaskets (head and intake). Tell him I'll buy it if I can pull a head and find nothing wrong. This doesn't mean he pulls it apart and shows pics, nor does it mean he has it pulled apart before you get there

cyclops222

Ensign
The starter BATTERY wires are all overheated and now drop a lot of the voltage and current in them. Do some voltage readings with a volt meter.

Rugglesworth

Seaman
Fuel would not cause what your seeing

Looks like a weak starter or bad battery cables or rust. A motor will not do what this one is doing without a major problem.

Just because someone says it, doesn't mean its the truth. My guess is it wasn't winterized correctly last winter and water got in this summer on first outing

If I really wanted the motor then I would be willing to buy some new gaskets (head and intake). Tell him I'll buy it if I can pull a head and find nothing wrong. This doesn't mean he pulls it apart and shows pics, nor does it mean he has it pulled apart before you get there
Yeah I was wondering if it had taken on some water, they probably installed it themselves and maybe did something wrong. Still weird how it cranks without the plugs but doesn't with them in... that would usually mean a bad starter or a cable issue. The thing is, the cables starter ignition switch distributor were all replaced after this happened as I guess they just kept throwing parts at it.

Rugglesworth

Seaman
The starter BATTERY wires are all overheated and now drop a lot of the voltage and current in them. Do some voltage readings with a volt meter.
The cables, starter and battery were all replaced and it's still doing it... I think there is more to the story. Unfortunately the guy is hours away or I'd go and do a compression check and dig into it. I thought maybe someone had come across something similar and it could be am easy solution

alldodge

Staff member
They may not know what is causing it

I bought a D3 dozer and it would only crank over slowly some years back, turned over slowly. I thought maybe new starter and such. To shorten the long story, I pulled the valve cover and saw rust. Ok, learned something but motor runs good now after I rebuilt it

Rugglesworth

Seaman
They may not know what is causing it

I bought a D3 dozer and it would only crank over slowly some years back, turned over slowly. I thought maybe new starter and such. To shorten the long story, I pulled the valve cover and saw rust. Ok, learned something but motor runs good now after I rebuilt it
Yeah I wonder if that's the issue. Seems to spin quick the first time though then slows down....

cyclops222

Ensign
Post #10 has the answer. The battery clamps are dropping the voltage. Due to so much of the clamp surface being corroded away

cyclops222

Ensign
Was the copper wire stripped back far enough ? Was the bare Copper wire folded back and forth enough times to fill the space on the clamp ? Was the copper folds squeezed in a vice to make a solid mostly round high current bulge. That will not over heat.
I did incorrect battery cables until my WW II Aircraft mechanic uncle came over to help me. BLESS HIM !!
I did every mistake possible at age 16 . House wire, Smallest gauge possible, not a big enough folded bundle, CHEAPEST battery clamp, and electrical setscrew wire lugs on the motor ends of the battery wires. Did I miss any steps ? :oops:
Yes I put new clamps on. They were worse than what was on.