1991 omc cobra 3.0 overheating

Boat2113

Recruit
I have a 1991 omc cobra 3.0 I replaced the impeller thermostat and water pump .....flows water fine on muffs but won't on lake .....what am I missing please help

alldodge

Staff member
Howdy

My first guess would be there is something wrong with the pump housing. When on the muffs the water pressure from the hose helps push the water thru. When in the water the pump has to do a lot more sucking. Buddy has one like yours that did the same thing, so he replaced the housing and all worked

Boat2113

Recruit
Ok update .....just replaced thermostat with correct one ......there wasn't one in boat when I bought it started it and istantly had good water flow throughout

alldodge

Staff member
Hope that is it, but the thermostat won't stop water flow out the exhaust only the motor if installed incorrectly.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
On the Cobra drive, the impeller is easy to replace (probably the easiest there is) but there are a few tricks:
​1)replace the wear plate if its even a little scored
​2)when you re-install the plastic impeller housing, make sure that you get the o ring gasket in the groove. although the shop manual says to use OMC gasket sealer on the oring gasket, I found that it stays in place better and seals just as well if you use a thick grease like OMC triple guard grease.
​3)When running it on the water hose, leave the plastic cover off the rear of the upper gear housing, make sure that: water shoots out of the little rubber hose fitting on the impeller housing, this helps it prime
​4)make sure there are no water leaks round the plastic housing, that is a sign of an improperly installed o ring gasket.

​if when you removed your old impeller, there were pieces of the fins missing, then you need to clean out the raw water intake hose and thermostat housing, that is where they can get trapped and block water flow....

Boat2113

Recruit
So here's where I'm at ......new water pump new thermostat new impeller I pulled every part of the cooling system apart inspected it for blockage and blew out every line port and orifice reinstalled everything then puled outdrive off inspected exhaust for blockage and have none pulled impeller off inspected that looks brand new ....reinstalled everything put muffs on and started it ......everything flowed as it should temp stayed at 150 160 and engine was cool to the touch ......haven't put it back on lake yet but I'm hoping I solved it.....but this did the same thing to me last time ....ran great and cool on muffs but on lake overheated ....any ideas