1991 Evinrude 60hp VRO - Won't Idle

Demonical

Seaman
Supreme Mariner, thanks for the reply!

Batteries had sat all winter without being charged, they are now on the charger!
My bad, I always (incorrectly) believed the primer was a pump, not a valve.

I intend to get the boat on the water and redo low speed idle jets. Just basically start over to ensure I have them correctly set.

Demonical

Seaman
Post a video of your in the water testing.
Yessir I will!

For the record, low speed jets were set @2-1/8 turns. My buddy 'Gearhead' says ballpark setting on low speed jets is to start at 2 turns and adjust from there.

Demonical

Seaman
School me on leaking fuel lines!

Took the boat out, adjusted low speed jets. Ran up the engine, it was purring like a kitten in mere seconds, but dammit!! Fuel leaking, maybe on a couple of the connections.

Is there a specialized tool I can buy to suck those z-ties tighter?

Will post video later...

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
don't use zip (Tye wraps) as they don't squeeze 360 degrees on the hoses .

the best are probably Oetiker type clamps or....

but if you must...

Last edited:

Demonical

Seaman
I have the Evinrude OEM zip ties, which have a radius on them so that they will create a perfectly smooth clamp, AS LONG AS THEY ARE TIGHT ENOUGH.

At the time I put these on my fuel lines I wasn't exactly certain I was getting them tight enough, so I bought myself this tool...

Supposed to be here Monday then will go over all the connections with it.

Product description

The Klein 86570 nylon tie tool manual Cutoff features grips for comfort and control. The nylon tie tool can create tensions up to 65 pounds and has a maximum tie width of 15/32 of an-inch (12 mm).

Attachments

• 51pRiyjvXZS._AC_SX679_.jpg
    51pRiyjvXZS._AC_SX679_.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 1

Demonical

Seaman
@ Crosby, I really like the look of those Oetiker clamps, but heckuva time finding the size I need!

Evinrude fuel lines are 5/32", which is a tiny 4mm. Need 10 only...
And the main fuel supply into the manifold is slightly larger, but not exactly sure the dimension. Need 1 only...

All I seem to be able to find is kits that contain 10 different sizes, which I don't need all those others.

So I will proceed with the zip-tie tensioning thing and see how that goes.

Demonical

Seaman
Update: pulled the air box off the engine, ran it up in the driveway. Engine purred like a kitten. Hmm...

Anyway, I determined that the leak is on the 4mm brass tee that I bought, for the middle fuel line, that feeds gas to the primer valve.
Damn thing is undersized, cannot get it tight enough, and in this little town it's just impossible to find metal hose clamps of any style, in that small size, or appropriate size brass tees (like 6mm).

So solution is that I ordered a 6mm brass tee, which is supposed to arrive here Fri Jun 24.

Note: the local hardware actually sells 6mm brass fittings, threaded and the brass tee that those screw into.
I could have actually bought 3 of those darn 6mm fittings plus that tee, cobbled them all together, which would probably have worked. But a Frankenstein, so I passed on that.
And I had a piece of my fuel line hose that I tested that with, which at least verified the need to go to 6mm.

ct1762@gmail.com

Master Chief Petty Officer
there is a reason the service manual (you do have a factory one right?) says in black and white "Always PUSH fuel lines off, never pull"

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
To tighten a zip tie, use a needle nosed pliers and a bladed screwdriver. Pull on the tie with the pliers, while pushing in on the clip with the screwdriver.

Demonical

Seaman
To tighten a zip tie, use a needle nosed pliers and a bladed screwdriver. Pull on the tie with the pliers, while pushing in on the clip with the screwdriver.
^ Thnx.

For what it's worth, that Klein tool zip-tie tensioning tool wasn't worth buying. But I guess I'm stuck with it and will have to find something to do with it.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
BTW -- gave good advice on cleaning. If the idle passages aren't opened up, could soak for a month and not clear them.

Demonical

Seaman
^ Thanks oldboat!

What's funny though is if you saw the video I did, when I adjusted the low speed jets, I said I had them at 2 turns out. But my brother pointed out to me that when I was doing that, I actually went 2 half turns on the screwdriver.

But after he said that I went back and looked, and sure enough he's right. My low speed jets are only open 1 turn (on all 3 carbs).

Last edited:

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Check your manual, but 1 turn open should be close for l.s. jets. Let it idle at that setting -- may need to tweak it a bit (go leaner first -- clockwise. If you get a light backfire after 1/8 turn adjustment, open c.clockwise 1/4 turn and let the engine adjust. Repeat as necessary.)

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
The plastic top carbs usually like more turns out. My 70 hp is around 3 3/4 turns out.

Demonical

Seaman
So other than on-water testing, I'm finally done my carb job.
The 5mm brass tee that I ordered came in, and I replaced the under-sized 4mm tee with that 5mm tee.
The 5mm fits the 5/32" Evinrude fuel lines correctly, and is a much nicer fit.
Snug, but not tight.
Oh and I removed the temporary metal hose clamp and installed the tee using all the Evinrude/Johnson OEM radiused zip ties. With the proper fitting 5mm tee the connections are solid and snug.
I even gave the Klein Tools zip tie tensioning pliers another shot, and was really happy with how they performed.
I guess the dissatisfaction I had with them previously had more to do with the poorly fitting, under-sized tees.

Demonical

Seaman
The last 2 nights we've put the boat in at Whitecourt river boat launch, which is right at the confluence of the McLeod and Athabasca rivers.
Night #1 was running with the low speed jets still set at 1 turn out, and the engine didn't run well.
Night #2 (tonight) set the low speed jets out 1 more turn, so at the base 2 turns off bottom. Engine definitely ran better, but still a smoke show.
Next step is to disconnect the VRO system.

This damn engine is still over oiling.

ct1762@gmail.com

Master Chief Petty Officer
The last 2 nights we've put the boat in at Whitecourt river boat launch, which is right at the confluence of the McLeod and Athabasca rivers.
Night #1 was running with the low speed jets still set at 1 turn out, and the engine didn't run well.
Night #2 (tonight) set the low speed jets out 1 more turn, so at the base 2 turns off bottom. Engine definitely ran better, but still a smoke show.
Next step is to disconnect the VRO system.

This damn engine is still over oiling.
its going to be near impossible to set the idle speed/low speed jets correctly when its severely running too rich of an oil mix.