1991 Caravelle---Neutral button

mike11374

Seaman
I have a 91 Caravelle bowrider with a 4.3L OMC Cobra. Usually, I must give it some gas to start the engine. However, now when I press the neutral button and give it gas, it is still registering as if it is in gear and thus stopping the ignition from cranking. After getting it running, the engine does in fact go into neutral when the button is pressed. Do I just replace the button on the shifter and does anyone have any tips on doing so? Is this a do it yourself job?

mike11374

Seaman
Re: 1991 Caravelle---Neutral button

man, nobody's got any thoughts on this one???? I thought it would be simple. HELP

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

Mike...don't think I've seen a Cobra with a neutral button, where is it located, underneath the handle? Are you sure you don't just pull the handle towards you to stop it from going into gear?

mike11374

Seaman

no it's a button at the bottom of the shifter. you push it in to get the boat into neutral.

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

OK our Merc outboard has a control like that, I'guess you'll have to take it apart and see why the button isn't releasing the mechanism...good luck sorry can't be of any help.

rbezdon

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Mike, like I said in your other thread, the controler you have is likely related to the boat not the engine/drive. Maybe posting on one of the other boat repair forums or possibly the outboard forum with the info on the controler you have will help.