1991 150 force won't idle

striper2

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Apr 17, 2006
Messages
2
I have owned this moter for 2 years and have had this problem it wants to die at idle in gear always when im trying to dock it or pull up to get gas . I had the carbs rebuilt this past winter hoping to fix the problem. It will idle fine in nutrual but you drop her in gear and she will inde for about a minute and then she dies. I did try choking it to see if it was a lean condition but that killed it sooner. I have noticed alot of exhaust fumes when I have the hood of while it is running could this have an effect on the idle sucking in fumes and making it run to rich. I think i need a exhaust plate gasket also there was some leakage around it where can I buy a gasket online?
 

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Oct 30, 2002
Messages
21,961
Re: 1991 150 force won't idle

mercruiserparts.com/Show_Pictures3.asp?dnbr=823715&ivar=images/FORCE/823715/35.png&inbr=1116&bnbr=180&bdesc=CYLINDER+BLOCK<br /><br /> :( <br /><br />So will it die if you just leave the cover off and let it idle?<br /><br />If it does not die with the cover off, probably have a leak.<br /><br />Does it start right back up after it dies?<br /><br />If it does die with the cover off, rebuild the fuel pump, could be leaking internally.<br /><br />Dumping fuel into the powerhead and flooding it. Only a matter of time till it fails completely.
 

RRitt

Captain
Joined
Mar 30, 2006
Messages
3,319
Re: 1991 150 force won't idle

is your idle speed set right? My boat did same when I got it back from a mercury mechanic. He set the speed to idle at 1000 in neutral. Probably even set it on a cold engine. the manual says set it to idle at 700 in gear. after warming up engines I set my my own idle per manual and it hasn't conked out since.
 

striper2

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Apr 17, 2006
Messages
2
Re: 1991 150 force won't idle

Well I have not tried to run it with the cover off yet but I will try it when I get back down to the lake. My boat is docked about 6 hrs away at Lake Cumberland.And yes it fires right back up after it dies but will die as soon as you drop it in gear. I should take note of where the idle is set really never checked while its in neutral. May give it a shot and see what happens. How about parts for this motor I would like to go ahead and get rebuild kits for the fuel pumps and get exhaust plate gasket and take them with me to the lake to work on it. Is there someone online I can order these parts from or a number to call
 

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Oct 30, 2002
Messages
21,961
Re: 1991 150 force won't idle

mercruiserparts.com or any Mercury dealer.<br />I don't know that the gasket is available any more from Mercury.
 
Top