1990 sp0rt 192

jeffkrieger

Seaman
hi,
anybody else have a 1990 wellcraft sport 192? i don't read too much about them here.i don't know if that is good or bad!!!!

Harold 1

Recruit
Re: 1990 sp0rt 192

I have one. They are the same as the 88 & 89 190 Classic. In 1990 they called it a"192 Sport". I have not had any major problem with mine. The motor is basically 1/2 a big block. A Ford 468 Head on a Mercrusier Aluminum block. 170 HP. I have heard it said that the water cooled regulator can give some problems. In fresh water the charging system is very reliable. In salt water it may be an idea to flush the motor out every time or hang an alternator on it. It has room for a V-6 or even a V-8, but with the price of fuel on the rise I am satisfied with the 4- banger. At 2500Lbs. the power to weight ratio is pretty good. It is a dated boat and looks it. That is why I am currently doing a reno. Too many pin stripes. I took them all off along with the Black Mac-Tac stuck at the helm dash and starboard bulkhead. The lounge seats are gone and I will replace them with captain chairs and a full bench seat in front of the old motor cover. A Sundeck over the motor and a full length swim platform and flush mount cleats should modernize it. The gel coat wet polished out brite and shiny. Also got rid of the Bow rail. Not sure who decided that a 19' boat needs a high rail:confused: Hope that helps

jeffkrieger

Seaman

hi,
yours sounds like it is fun.mine is a work in progress.i am redecking it(along with stringers and transome.was engine less when i bought it.now i have a aq171 to put in it.my wife is doing the seats and interior work on it bless her heart.i actually have 2 of these boats.total of $550 invested in boats and trailers.thanks to the guys on this forum for all their help so far.this is our first boat so we are looking forward to getting it done.thanks for the reply.
jeff

Harold 1

Recruit

Careful!
I am not familiar with Volvo, But I think the aq171 has a displacment of 2.5L. ( I could be wrong) This may not be enough to get the boat on plane when loaded:facepalm:. The 4 banger I was refering to has 3.7 L and came stock with the boat. DO YOUR HOMEWORK:)

Harold 1

Recruit

Oops!
I did my homework. It seems the aq171 has 160 HP. This should be enough. Make sure.
Good luck

jeffkrieger

Seaman

i think you are right about it being the 2.5.i didn't make it clear.the 171 was in 1 of the boats but it is good for an anchor.frozen up.pls it is only my wife and myself.i don't need speed out of this toy.i have a street rod & a motorcycle for my speed fix.

wellcraft19

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 1990 192 Sport as well - WITH the VP AQ171C.

Yes, a "four banger" but the most powerful one Volvo ever made (DOHC head with 167hp). Gets on plane with 7-8 people on board.
Cheap on fuel, but if you get any indication of "dieseling" when shutting off, run higher octane fuel and the correct spark plugs (I run NGK BPR6HS).

All that said, the parts for the AQ171 are (can be) VERY expensive since this was a short-run motor until Volvo went 100% to GM blocks. The exhaust manifold runs closer to $2,000, so it is warranted to care for it ahead of time.

Make sure you flush every time. Keep an eye on timing belt since the DOHC is an "interference" engine (broken timing belt = bent valves or worse). Make sure engine gets proper cooling and "care" for your tank and heat exhanger by replacing glycol now and then (yes, aluminum do corrode).

Keep an eye on the impeller and strainer.

If questions, just ask

Edit:
Jeff,
After reading more posts here tonight, I see you are "deep in" a restoration project, and likely have picked up more info than you need/can handle. In case you want information on the AQ171C, or to part with some items, let me know what you have.