1990 Sea Ray 210BR Fuel Sending Unit Help

Jersey13

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all. Picked up this little bow rider about a month or so ago and all is great except... the fuel tank sending unit is shot. Pretty simple job to replace... IF I COULD FIND IT! ha.

One of the previous owners replaced the floor and didn't cut out any type of inspection hatch over the sender and there is no way to see it from the engine compartment or anywhere else.

The tank is 55 gallons, manufactured by Buechler Industries Inc. with a date code is 3/89. Id call them but it seems they've been gone since around 1993. UG.

If anyone has this same tank or possibly a 1990 SR 210BR and could get me any type of measurements or pics of where the sender or inspection hatch is located, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Jersey

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I had an '88 SR 18 foot bowrider. If you removed 4 screws, a panel between the back-to-back seats lifted. The entire fuel tank was under there, The panel was carpeted. You have anything like that?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
My suggestion is make an educated guess and cut in an inspection cover over the tank... If you miss the sender use a light and mirror to locate it, measure, and cut another inspection cover in over the sender.

Jersey13

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Thanks Chris but unfortunetly, I don't have a panel like that. There may have been one before the PO redid the floor but not any more. I'll try and post a pic to show you what i'm working with.

Thanks Kevin for the suggestion but, i'd rather not cut multible holes in the floor if at all possible.

Attachments

• photo228566.jpg
    photo228566.jpg
    348.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo228567.jpg
    photo228567.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 0

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Those wires on the left picture led to the sender. I will bet it is just a couple of inches under that panel. Pill up the edges of the carpet, by the doghouse. Maybe the previous owner simply carpeted over the panel.

Jersey13

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

I do know they're the wires but can't follow them any more than about an inch under the floor because there's only about 1/2" clearance from top of tank to bottom of floor. There's no carpet, all wood. Believe me, I've tried just about everything! Even took about 20 pics with iPhone and flash and still cant get a glimpse of the sender top. Very frustrating. Thanks again for the replies and effort. Here's the best shot I could get with camera...

Attachments

• photo228582.jpg
    photo228582.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 0

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Well crap I missed that pic...
Go get a bore scope...
I have a ryobi I bought at Home Depot
Has a light and camera 1/2" diameter on one end of a flexible wand and a color monitor on the other.

Jersey13

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Bought the bore scope tonight, and it wouldn't go further than about 4 inches until it wedges itself between the floor at top of tank. And of course, I couldn't get a shot of the sender. Damn. I'm just about ready to take the skillsaw out and whack a 2ft x 4ft hole in my floor! Unreal.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Two things for consideration... first of all, fuel senders are not all that accurate. I simply fill my tank, when I want to go fishing. My brand-new sender will read 3/4 tank, until the fuel gets below 3/4, and then I just have to guess. Bottom line is fuel senders are not absolutely necessary like spark or compression.

Secondly, see if you can pull up the carpet and cut a hatch. If you want a fuel sender only access, one of those white, round plastic screw in hatches can cover the hole. It can be installed on top of the carpet.

Jersey13

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've been doing the same, filling or at least getting it close to full each time I go out but to me, that's only band-aiding my issue. I like to have everything I can working on the boat, especially knowing the "approximate" amount of fuel I have. Right now, it's stuck at half tank and doesn't move much. I've tested the gauge and it responds correctly to various resistance values within its specified range.

There's no carpet. I posted a few pics a few posts back, not sure if you saw them. That's exactly what I bought, a round screw-in access hatch, I'm just trying to figure out where to cut the hole.

Thanks for the efforts.

Jersey13

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Found it! Cut a piece of 1/2" plywood, about an 3/4" wide and a foot long, wedged it as far in as I could between the tank and underside of floor from engine compartment, twisted it to make some space and then was able to locate the sender with the bore scope camera. A little dremel work with a cutting bit and depth guard attached so not to hit wiring or tank, worked perfect. If anyone is interested, it was located dead center, about 14" from the back of the tank. And yes, it was bad (whew) I tried cleaning it up but the rheostat wiring was in bad shape and was working intermittently. Ordered the universal Moeller to be done with it. Thanks again for all the suggestions and help.

MySender.JPG

MySender1.JPG

Attachments

• MySender1.JPG
    MySender1.JPG
    128.6 KB · Views: 0
  • MySender.JPG
    MySender.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 0

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Bore scopes totally kick donkey....

Just make sure you clean it well between inspecting inside the engine block and checking your fillings.... Lol, jus sayin...

Congrats on the easy....ish fix!