1990 OMC 4.3L Tilt Motor noise - no lift

andrewgroup

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just had a power problem this weekend (BAD BATTERY CONNECTIONS). TOday though the tilt up simply clicked. I cleaned the two additional wire rings that feed the two 50amp fuses, when I cleaned the battery post clamps. I'm going to revisit this tommorrow evening but would like some suggestions on this topic. I've searched the forums and found only a few comments about this problem. When I had the power problem at the lake, (NO TOOLS, yuk) I removed the long bolt at the ends of the hydaulic lifters and blocked up the outdrive. The next day I cleaned the batteries and I did operate the outdrive switch with no load on the hydaulic lifters. Could I be in a situation that requires bleeding or something similar.<br /><br />I suspect I still have bad power going to the motor. Any comments or suggestions greatly appreciated.

loadnet

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1990 OMC 4.3L Tilt Motor noise - no lift

I have an I/O that I've had similar problems with pushing the UP switch and got a CLICK only.<br /><br />The problem ended up being 2 things...<br />1) the electric motor itself was stuck like bad brushes inside. I resolved the problem by having someone push the switch while I tapped the electric motor housing lightly with a hammer.<br />The motor began working again for over a week, no problems..... THENNNNNNN the culprit hit again.<br /><br />Pushed the button and the selenoid just clicked.<br /><br />I tried the hammer and that didn't work..<br />I removed the wires from the selenoid - sprayed everything with WD40 and wire brushed the connections real clean, and when I put em back on - BINGO - problem solved.<br /><br />To remove air from the hydrualic cylinder you have to put the piston/s all the way out/up, then on many outboards there's a hydraulic block up under the outboard engine with a screw that is removable. Remove the screw and let the motor go down slow on it's own leaving yourself enough room to re-tighten the screw again.<br /><br />Just CRACK IT LOOSE enough to let the air out.<br />You'll see bubbles of air sneaking out..<br /><br />Do it twice if you have to, then re-check the fluid level.<br /><br />On I/O's you can put the unit all the way up and crack one of the hydraulic cylinder lines loose on the lower unit ouside. Let it bleed down for a bit then lock it up and check fluid level.<br /><br />Hope this helps you out.<br /><br />CaptainHook<br />customerservice@401hosting.com

andrewgroup

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1990 OMC 4.3L Tilt Motor noise - no lift

I put my hands on the motor and it felt as if it was spinning, I bleed the lines on the cylinders, top off the fluid and Voila', Back in business. Thanks...