1990 johnson 90hp quits when put into gear

G DANE

Commander
Re: 1990 johnson 90hp quits when put into gear

According to my manual Cylinder Head Bolts 18-20ft.-lb. Inside-out right<br />Cylinderhead cover screws 6,8 - 9,5 N.m<br />Be carefull - you need a manual.

conchecko

Cadet

Thankyou, I am heading down to Marina 2day to pick-up gaskets, i will purchase manual aswell.<br /><br />i appreciate your commitment to help, your the best!!<br />Conchecko

conchecko

Cadet

I re-installed head, and purchased "seafoam" additive for fuel, aswell i purchased "deep creep".<br />I ran additive through engine, i premixed in a plastic fuel container as instructions said. i used 3/4 of a gallon of fuel to 16oz of seafoam, and also added mix oil accordingly. it smoked like everyone says, after that i reattached fuel line to boat tank, and sprayed "deep creep" in carbs as i ran at aprox 2000rpm. After all said and done, condition is the same.<br /> That darn engine performs flawless from just off trolling speed right on through its range upto WOT. when in gear in first forward postion it dies out........ One thing i did find unusual is there is a long Bolt on the linkage side that appears to set idle when in gear, its turned completely in??<br /> I looked at a similar engine, and its adjustment was only turned in 3/4 of an inch. This Bolt i speak of is 3 1/2 inchs long? <br /> Any thoughts? The boating season is almost finished, in light of piston condition, i am at odds whether i should suck it up and rebuild power head, and equip it with new add ons (example....coils, fuel pump etc.)<br /> That way i will know what have. and tune next season?<br /> Or, keep trying???????<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------<br />Conchecko

G DANE

Commander

What was the new compression numbers, and did you redo sync´n linck procedure, and adjust ignition timing ? Try to make each spark jump a 1/2" gap in air while crancking. Never leave any plug ungrounded while testing, can ruin power pack. You can only make a fair judgement when everything is working as it should. If you read a couple of threads you will see people can experience the same on a freshly rebuild motor if ignition is out of timing or sync'n linck not set. Is your carbs syncronised and cleaned and rebuild ? I would advise you to Do a full tune up.

G DANE

Commander

Does the boat have a tach ?? At what rpm does it iddle in water ? Should be aroung 750 rpm. Low iddle will make it just die when put in gear.

conchecko

Cadet

Boat idles out of gear at 2000, then it comes down on its own to 800...then dies out. I am picking up my Manual today, I will do procedures as you recommend. <br />Thx<br />Conchecko

G DANE

Commander

From that I would think your ignition is advanced too little ( spark advance ), and iddle is turned way up just to keep it going. Clean, rebuild and syncronize carbs, set ignition timing correct, redo sync'n linck procedure. Did someone try to adjust this motor without knowing the right settings ??

G DANE

Commander

The iddle rpms are brought up by the correct spark advance, more than any opening of throttle butterflyes. If iddle is turned up on throttle, it will have no or less power when it gets into gear.

conchecko

Cadet

I just arrived home from work with a Snapon compression gauge, i tested cylinders. I must say it brought a smile to my face, 100psi on problem cylinder, other 3 cylinders were 100,105,&110..............a signifigant increase from before i had "decarbed" with seafoam.<br /> I am moving next week, so i am idol from working on boat. I truly feel you are on to prob, it must lie with timing/carbs. My next coarse of action after moving, is to rebuild carbs and check timing, and reset sync linkage. I may not be replying for a few weeks, due to move, however i will continue this thread with postive results, as i am confident we got it!!!!<br /><br />Thanx again for your help, & patience with me!<br />-------------------------------------------------<br />grateful Conchecko

D

DJ

When you get back, just do a search for this thread and continue it.<br /><br />It is probably easiest to search by your member #.<br /><br />Have a good move.

G DANE

Commander

Your compression is fine now, no need for a rebuild for that reason. Now for the tune-up !!

conchecko

Cadet

yes, i am confident you are right! You are extremely knowledgeable, either you are an expert, or you learned by alot of grief.....LOL!!<br /><br />Either way I am better off by "hook'n up" with you via this site.<br /><br />thx, have a great weekend G<br />------------------------------------------------<br />Conchecko

G DANE

Commander

Please dont call mee expert !! I'm only a shade tree wrench, and novice compared to Dhadley, OBJ and a lot of the others

conchecko

Cadet

LOL......didn't mean to flatter you!<br /><br />How do you attach a photo to a "reply"?