1990 Johnson 90HP 2 Stroke Bogging - Help!

Hi all,
I recently purchased a 17ft 1990 Proline center console with a 1990 Johnson 90HP 2-Stroke motor. The motor came with the VRO pump removed and a fuel pump installed. The motor had no spark out of two of the four plugs but I quickly noticed it was missing one of the two CDL powerpacks. After replacing it, I got the spark with all four plugs. With a little love, I got the motor to start up. At times the idle would sound rough and at other times it would sound fine. I am running the motor off of a premixed 50:1 external 6 gallon tank. To get the motor started I had to continuously pump the primer ball, but once running, it would seem to pull fuel on its own. When manually giving the motor throttle in neutral, it never had a problem with bogging, but continued to run funky sometimes at idle. After a couple of days I tried to get the motor running again and it wouldn't start. I completely tore the carbs apart and thoroughly cleaned them (pretty dirty). After reinstalling them, the motor fired up, again needing to quickly pumping the primer ball. I put the boat in the water and it shift and ran fine at low speeds, although again sometimes struggling at idle. It ran well with a little throttle in gear (maybe 1500-2000 rpm), but once I got the motor up to what I would guess to be 2500rpm (tac doesn't work), the pitch changed and it began to make a bogging sound. The motor didn't decrease rpm or drop to idle, but rather continued at that same rpm but with a pitch change and a bogging sound and was unable to increase rpm and power. At times when slowing down and backing off the throttle, the motor would feel as though it got some gas and the boat would randomly suddenly accelerate as I brought the throttle back to idle. Again, it had no problem getting up to that 2500 rpm range, but that would change once it got there. I am going to replace the plugs anyways as one of the old ones cracked when taking them out for a compression test. After warming the motor, with all the spark plugs out and the throttle opened wide, I got approx 88-92psi out of all four cylinders. The motor spits water with a strong stream is getting good circulation. Why do you guys think this motor is bogging at 2500 rpm and won't reach higher rpm? Does this sound like a fuel problem, maybe the fuel pump? Maybe a clogged filter or old cracked lines with a leak so it is lacking fuel pressure? I opened the vent on the gas tank to make sure that wasn't starving it. I read that someone said to shoot a little carb clean or starter fluid right into the intake when giving it gas in gear to see if that would allow the motor to rev higher and possibly bypass the fuel issue for a split second. I think the diaphragm in the fuel may be damaged just based on the research I have done, but I am completely unsure. Could this be just from bad old spark plugs?
Thank You!!!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Compression is way too low.---Yes , way to low !-----Test with another gauge first.----Or remove the 4 bypass covers to look at pistons and rings.

Compression is way too low.---Yes , way to low !-----Test with another gauge first.----Or remove the 4 bypass covers to look at pistons and rings.
Thanks! I guess I will re-test the same way with a new gauge. How would I remove the 4 bypass covers to look at pistons and rings. I have heard older 2-stroke motors can run just fine on 90psi. Is that true. Again, thanks so much!

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
6 or 7 bolts hold them on. There might be a few things also bolted on in front of them
90ports.jpg

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Fact ---Disregard what your co-workers say about 90 PSI compression--Most folks do not understand that pistons do double duty in a 2 stroke.----They compress in the cylinder and also in the crankcase.-----A healthy V-4 runs with compression at 120 PSI , need to accept that fact !!

Hi all,
I plan on replacing all the fuel lines, external tank, fuel line with primer bulb, servicing the fuel pumps, recleaning the carbs with two factory carb kits, and replacing the fuel filter. I put about an ounce of marvels mystery oil in each cylinder to let it sit for a few nights. Also, I have also replaced the spark plugs but noticed when running the motor for a few minutes to drain fuel from the system that the spark plugs from the two right cylinders are a dark rich color while the other two look normal. The difference is very drastic, why would this be and would I adjust that fuel mixture to fix that? This was after only 5-10 mins of running.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-16 at 10.27.40 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-16 at 10.27.40 AM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot 2023-07-16 at 10.27.45 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-16 at 10.27.45 AM.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 5

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Your Marvel Mystery Oil is probably what made the Plugs look like they do. You poured the goop in all the Cylinders, only to have it drain out into the crankcase on a couple of them as the Ports were open, which is why they all don't look the same.

Your Marvel Mystery Oil is probably what made the Plugs look like they do. You poured the goop in all the Cylinders, only to have it drain out into the crankcase on a couple of them as the Ports were open, which is why they all don't look the same.
I put the marvel mystery oil in after pulling those plugs and taking the photos. I'm just confused why only two of the four look that way.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I will assume you mean the Starboard Cylinders when you say "Right". Since they are fed from 2 different Carbs, it can't be blamed on a common to both, Carb. And since each carb does feed the Cylinder on the Port Side, 2 cylinders do share a Float Bowl/Fuel Level. You say the Port side and Starboard Side are producing different results on the Plugs

Back to the Basics
Compression Test, Initially 90psi across the board. Do a retest, post the Numbers, though the Mystery Oil may corrupt the results
Can the Ignition System produce a Spark strong enough to repeatedly jump a 3/8" Gap, on all 4 cylinders?

You tore the Carbs apart. How did you clean them? Did you have Kits for them? What Parts did you replace? Did you check the Float Height, and adjust if needed? Upon reassembly, did you get all the Linkages between the Carbs adjust correctly, as well as the Carb-Spark sync checked and adjusted if need be?

Last edited:
I will assume you mean the Starboard Cylinders when you say "Right". Since they are fed from 2 different Carbs, it can't be blamed on a common to both, Carb. And since each carb does feed the Cylinder on the Port Side, 2 cylinders do share a Float Bowl/Fuel Level. You say the Port side and Starboard Side are producing different results on the Plugs

Back to the Basics
Compression Test, Initially 90psi across the board. Do a retest, post the Numbers, though the Mystery Oil may corrupt the results
Can the Ignition System produce a Spark strong enough to repeatedly jump a 3/8" Gap, on all 4 cylinders?

You tore the Carbs apart. How did you clean them? Did you have Kits for them? What Parts did you replace? Did you check the Float Height, and adjust if needed? Upon reassembly, did you get all the Linkages between the Carbs adjust correctly, as well as the Carb-Spark sync checked and adjusted if need be?
Yes, the two starboard cylinders. I will redo the compression test. I cleaned them with carb clean (non-rubber parts). Didn't have any parts to replace with as a wanted to see if the problem would be fixed without an investment. I did not check the float height but will once I clean them with the new kits. One of the carb-to-block gaskets was pretty mangled so I think there could have been a leak there too. I plan on doing a carb lync and sync as well.

healey8390

Petty Officer 1st Class
Is the primer bulb getting hard? I'm wondering why you are having to continuously pump it.

It wouldn't hurt to check the fuel pump diaphragm for a hole/tear as you mentioned. Are the darker plugs on the side of the engine that has the fuel pump?

Check that spark jumps 3/8" as another poster said, could be the cause of the random acceleration though it could be fuel related too.

Hopefully compression is good and it's the gauge reading low. At least they're even giving a better chance of the gauge reading low...

Is the primer bulb getting hard? I'm wondering why you are having to continuously pump it.

It wouldn't hurt to check the fuel pump diaphragm for a hole/tear as you mentioned. Are the darker plugs on the side of the engine that has the fuel pump?

Check that spark jumps 3/8" as another poster said, could be the cause of the random acceleration though it could be fuel related too.

Hopefully compression is good and it's the gauge reading low. At least they're even giving a better chance of the gauge reading low...
No, the primer doesn't really get firm which is why I think there was a leak. The dark plugs are on the side away from the fuel pump. Will check the gap. I am comforted by the fact the compression is pretty even but unsure if is above 90 at all. Will check a third time but with a different gauge. Thank you!

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
if carb floats are ok then the bulb should firm up.
tried another fuel hose & primer ?

external fuel leaks should be evident.

any chance of a fuel pump diaphragm leak ?

GSX455

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I second getting another fuel pump or replace the diaphragm. It sounds like a fuel pump issue as well. Good luck