1990 Johnson 70 HP warning horn

Sam2001

Seaman Apprentice
Are there any side effects of disconnecting the warning horn at the remote control, i had a short (bare spot ) on one of the wires that feed the horn so iv'e disconnected it .

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Wouldn't it be a better idea to correct the problem properly instead of doing what is commonly referred to as a Mickey Mouse patch job?

However, to answer your question.... The only side effect I can think of is that the only warning you'll ever receive if the cooling system is interrupted will be the screeching sound it makes as the pistons seize to the cylinder walls bringing the engine to an abrupt halt due to possibly picking up a plastic bag 20 miles offshore... whereas with the warning horn, you could have raised the engine, the bag would have fallen off, and you could enjoy the rest of the day fishing.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
^ +1. Nice to see you back Joe...hope all is well. The forum is a better place with your seasoned inputs, experience and knowledge.

Sam2001

Seaman Apprentice
My past experience with warning systems on outboards is that once the sound off the damage is already done , there useless far as i'm concerned . Maybe they have improved ? Thanks for the feedback !

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
No Sam, you're wrong. The warning horn comes on before the engine is hot enough to do any damage. The damage is done if the operator doesn't hear the horn which is understandable when it's hidden in a control box or under a console.

Better to replace that horn with a louder one or some other device, available at electronic stores.