1990 Johnson 225hp Lower Unit

jcupo6

Chief Petty Officer
I'm an I/O guy, looking to purchase a used boat with a 1990 225hp Johnson outboard. Does this motor have a good reputation (assuming it's maintained regularly)?

The dealer sent me the maintenance history, and this cutout was included. The boat hasn't been wet since the repairs. Is this all the gears, and does it mean the lower unit is pretty much new?

LowerUnit.jpg

SparkieBoat

Captain
Re: 1990 Johnson 225hp Lower Unit

there is one more gear that it looks like was not replaced..the pinion gear. but it was probably ok..rare for it to go bad..mostly have trouble with the clutch dog rounding off its corners and the mating surface of the forward and reverse gears....Make sure the shift cable is adjusted correctly..if it does not go promptly into both gears without grinding..check shift cable...those V-6 motors are good ones and are way way better than the late 80s early 90s I/O motors in my humble opinion you have stepped up. Just take care of it..do the routine maintenance and if you notice something wrong fix it ASAP. But my guess is if the mechanic did a good job the foot should be fine

jcupo6

Chief Petty Officer

there is one more gear that it looks like was not replaced..the pinion gear. but it was probably ok..rare for it to go bad..mostly have trouble with the clutch dog rounding off its corners and the mating surface of the forward and reverse gears....Make sure the shift cable is adjusted correctly..if it does not go promptly into both gears without grinding..check shift cable...those V-6 motors are good ones and are way way better than the late 80s early 90s I/O motors in my humble opinion you have stepped up. Just take care of it..do the routine maintenance and if you notice something wrong fix it ASAP. But my guess is if the mechanic did a good job the foot should be fine

Thank you! There is an issue with the motor, the flywheel magnets apparently fell off, but I feel better about the package knowing the lower unit is solid. My mechanic says he can temporarily fix the magnets by gluing them back on. I'll probably do this just to see how she runs, then permanently fix it. I don't mind throwing some money into the motor as I only paid $2,000 for the boat/motor. Is the magnets falling off a common issue with an older motor, or is this sign of neglect?

daselbee

Commander

Sixth item down, gearset. "fwd & pin" is the forward and pinion gears. Those are sold as a pair usually.

Flywheel magnets come off regularly, and the permanent fix is to glue them back on.

jcupo6

Chief Petty Officer

Sixth item down, gearset. "fwd & pin" is the forward and pinion gears. Those are sold as a pair usually.

Flywheel magnets come off regularly, and the permanent fix is to glue them back on.

Oh, I thought the flywheel needed to be replaced when the magnets come off. Good to know, thanks!

SparkieBoat

Captain

i ordered a special epoxy for my magnets..I forget where I got it..but it was OMC flywheel magnet epoxy...I didnt see that about the pinion and forward gears..they do come as a set...so all of the gears were replaced.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If you prep everything correctly and use the proper epoxy when glueing them back in they will probably last longer than the orginial. The BRP epoxy kit is part # 431929.