1990 Four Winns Freedom 195 4.3 Cobra deck, transom, & stringer resto

4Winns2

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've owned this boat for 8 years and have done a number of upgrades: interior, stereo with kicker box, stern graphics, etc.

I keep her moored at my parents place on Skaneateles (say that 3 times fast) lake for 3 months every year. Well, when she started leaking in the bilge a couple of years ago I prayed nightly to the boat gods. Tried all the usual fixes...tightened the outdrive, bellows were all good all the while knowing it could be this. :grumpy:

As you can see I've pulled the engine and outdrive. The wet rot travels throughout the lower side of the transom and engine stringers. A smarter man (but I'm not that smart) would have started this project in March and the season for this boat would still be on schedule. I have a couple of other boats so no big deal. I'm motivated by the fact that she'll be rebuilt and safe with new carpet that will practically finish my interior.

In the span of a few hours I pulled the seats and the carpeting.

4Winns2

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1990 Four Winns Freedom 195 4.3 Cobra deck, transom, & stringer resto

Everything appears solid on the top side of the cribbing for the 32 gallon gas tank. Next step is to pump out the gas, pull the tank, and have a look underneath.

After the tank is out, I'll go about getting the deck out. Last night I noticed how they injected the flotation foam through the deck.

My goal is to have the transom, stringers, deck, and engine with gimbal housing installed before the end of September. I'll finish the interior with new carpet, some graphic work and re-paint the outdrive on her over the winter. I am taking my time and thinking through every step. Who knows I might be able to finish ahead time and get her out for a couple of weeks on the water- -no pressure to do that though.

Let me thank you all in advance for the help I'll be getting along the way.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... Looks like you've got Alota "Fun" ahead,... Good Luck,....

Okieboatguy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks like a nice boat, I will be following, watching, and learning.

4Winns2

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ayuh,.... Looks like you've got Alota "Fun" ahead,... Good Luck,....

For a while I entertained a patch job. Once I stuck a putty knife back where the transom was hidden by the deck that option fell off the table. Plus, I've seen your repeated wisdom on patch jobs and you're right: just do the whole job to do it right.

4Winns2

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks like a nice boat, I will be following, watching, and learning.

Thanks, I love that boat. Some friends were saying keep the outdrive and the engine (re-manned long block only 4 seasons of use) and find another boat. What I'd be willing to spend would most likely put me where I am now, an older boat needing the same repairs. Now, if it would stop raining in central New York long enough to get some work done.

rickryder

Commander

Looks like a nice project! Good luck ;)

4Winns2

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks like a nice project! Good luck ;)

Rick:

Thanks. Just went through half of your resto thread. Very nice work and you've given me some ideas moving forward on my project. If only it would stop raining up here in Syracuse I could get some work done; although, I'm anticipating 8+months on this given the time I have to work on it after work. Thanks again.

rickryder

Commander

Rick:

Thanks. Just went through half of your resto thread. Very nice work and you've given me some ideas moving forward on my project. If only it would stop raining up here in Syracuse I could get some work done; although, I'm anticipating 8+months on this given the time I have to work on it after work. Thanks again.

Just let me know if I can help out ;) I hear ya on the rain :mad: No better here in Jersey my friend!

4Winns2

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just let me know if I can help out ;) I hear ya on the rain :mad: No better here in Jersey my friend!

I will indeed. Presently, I am up to page 14 on your resto thread. Two words: very impressive.

I could put her in the garage (my wife thinks the only reason we bought that house was that I could fit my boat into the garage- -she isn't that far from the truth) but I'll work outside until September or so. I forsee this project going over into the winter. The goal is to splash in May.

mbasonic

Petty Officer 3rd Class

4Winns2,

Yes, I just looked over your thread here..... I've read many people's threads on restoring/ replacing stringers/deck. Many people, including myself had what I believe to be "Delusions of Grandeur", as far as getting it done in a summers time. Some even give up.... I remember thinking how easy it was to rip all the stuff out. I had become fairly efficient at it.
I'm not saying at all that it can't be done!!! It's just that many people spend 1-2 years working on these resto's. I just had more time initially when I started, and now my time dwindles to 4-5 hours a weekend. Not to mention it's blazing hot here in Texas.

If you have more time than that to work on it, or you're retired, then you might be able to bust this thing out in no time. I just re-read your last post about it finishing up in May. You'll get it...just don't get side tracked. Keep trucking along a little at a time. I strongly advise an oscillating saw that you can run along the hull smoothly to cut the old crap out. I'll be watching this thread, so if you have any questions I might be able to help.

Matt

4Winns2

Petty Officer 1st Class

4Winns2,

Yes, I just looked over your thread here..... I've read many people's threads on restoring/ replacing stringers/deck. Many people, including myself had what I believe to be "Delusions of Grandeur", as far as getting it done in a summers time. Some even give up.... I remember thinking how easy it was to rip all the stuff out. I had become fairly efficient at it.
I'm not saying at all that it can't be done!!! It's just that many people spend 1-2 years working on these resto's. I just had more time initially when I started, and now my time dwindles to 4-5 hours a weekend. Not to mention it's blazing hot here in Texas.

If you have more time than that to work on it, or you're retired, then you might be able to bust this thing out in no time. I just re-read your last post about it finishing up in May. You'll get it...just don't get side tracked. Keep trucking along a little at a time. I strongly advise an oscillating saw that you can run along the hull smoothly to cut the old crap out. I'll be watching this thread, so if you have any questions I might be able to help.

Matt

Thanks Matt. At first, I was looking at a shorter timeline for completion. Since this season shot for the boat I've decided to do as you've suggested, "keep trucking along a little at a time," when time permits after work and on weekends. The garage fits this boat nicely (it was a prerequisite for buying the house) so I can work on it over the winter.

I lived in Dallas/Ft. Worth for 8 years back in the eighties. I can't imagine working outside on a boat in TX this time of the year. I still have friends there and in Austin- -great city.

Indeed, I'll be tapping your experience, along with others here, moving forward. Thanks.

rickryder

Commander

My resto was pretty quick but you have to remember it was 2 men every weekend 12+ hours a day...... I thank you for the kind words.....I am by no means an expert in boat rehab..... if it wasn't for all the great people on iboats helping me I would still be working on her :D

4Winns2

Petty Officer 1st Class

My resto was pretty quick but you have to remember it was 2 men every weekend 12+ hours a day...... I thank you for the kind words.....I am by no means an expert in boat rehab..... if it wasn't for all the great people on iboats helping me I would still be working on her :D

Rick:

So at 12+ hours a (weekend) day, how many weekends would you estimate it took you both to finish the job? I've seen your estimate on man hours somewhere in your thread but didn't bother to do the division at the time. I'm on my own on this project (unless I can find someone with skill, bored enough and will work for beer) and I'm trying to get a handle on my timeline. I know that depends a lot on how much time I actually put in on the project. Thanks.

rickryder

Commander

If your talking about just the glass work....stringers and deck... I would say about 6 weekends....but we also did all new seat cushions and a total rebuild on the trailer brake system and serviced the outdrive... So many little things were done on the boat.....it's still a work in progress....

4Winns2

Petty Officer 1st Class

If your talking about just the glass work....stringers and deck... I would say about 6 weekends....but we also did all new seat cushions and a total rebuild on the trailer brake system and serviced the outdrive... So many little things were done on the boat.....it's still a work in progress....

Rick:

Thanks, that's a helpful piece of inspiration. I don't have that amount of interior work expect for the new carpet on the deck and gunnel panels. I've also got to re-do the vinyl on the jump seats and dog house; not worried about that since I've done quite a bit of stitching over the past couple of years on my side panels and rear panel, shouldn't be a problem. With that, the interior is done, "for now."

Outside of January & February it's warm enough to work in my garage on the boat. Going to break it down to smaller projects/goal(s) every weekend so the ultimate goal of splash in June 2014 can be met. If I might correct you on "it's still a work in progress," it's always going to be a work in progress- -just the way I like it. LOL

mbasonic

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Keep us updated with pics and the gutting process. I'm interested in the innards!! Be sure and take measurements of things and their general location if you're going to try to bring it close to original. Stringer height....distance apart.....thickness...where access panels are...bulkheads. You get the idea.

Matt

4Winns2

Petty Officer 1st Class

Keep us updated with pics and the gutting process. I'm interested in the innards!! Be sure and take measurements of things and their general location if you're going to try to bring it close to original. Stringer height....distance apart.....thickness...where access panels are...bulkheads. You get the idea.

Matt

Matt:

Thanks, will do. I've spent a lot of time thinking about my attack plan. The camera will get its workout on this project in documenting placement of stringers, bulkheads, etc. Thanks for the reminder. At the end, I am going to print pics and put an album together. I don't expect to get a lot done over the next couple of weeks. My youngest is off to college and other summer like activities are getting in the way. Thanks again

Bill,
How is the restoration coming along on your boat? I'm interested for obvious reasons, but I have always trailered her so I hope I don't have to do what you are doing for a while.:)

4Winns2

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bill,
How is the restoration coming along on your boat? I'm interested for obvious reasons, but I have always trailered her so I hope I don't have to do what you are doing for a while.:)

I put her in the garage last month for the winter. I "plan" on gutting her deck and sub-structure in the beginning of March when it will be warm enough in the garage to do so. The goal is to work on her weekends and nights and have her ready to launch in June; we'll see how that goes.

I have no question in my mind that the rot is the result of a lot of years in slips and on moorings. I'm "sure" your trailer-ed 195 is fine but it may not hurt to sample the lower inside transom if you're getting any kind of leakage in the bilge or stress cracks beneath the outdrive.

Thanks for asking about the project from hell- -but I love my 195. I should start posting my progress in early March so you can a first hand look at what is beneath the deck. Happy holidays.