1990 force 160

joshs.ws6

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 20, 2006
Messages
2
I have a force 160 on my bayliner the motor and boat are both 1990. My engine keeps overheating on me. I'm thinking it is the impeller but I'm not sure. It still spitts water out of the back but it stil overheats. any help on the location of the impeller or other thoughts on what might be wrong with it would be greatly appriciated.<br /><br />Thanks<br />Josh
 

jasonbailey

Petty Officer 1st Class
Joined
Jul 25, 2004
Messages
253
Re: 1990 force 160

Do a compression check first. Could be a blown head gasket.
 

joshs.ws6

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 20, 2006
Messages
2
Re: 1990 force 160

compression is fine where is the thermostat located on this motor? I'm thinkng that might be the culprut and I was wrong the motor is a 120 size not a 160. thank you for your input though.<br /><br />Josh
 

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Oct 30, 2002
Messages
21,961
Re: 1990 force 160

There is a thermostat housing/cover, located just above the top sparkplug. 4 screws hold the cover on.<br />It looks like this:<br /><br /><br />
38.png
 

Rockonafly

Cadet
Joined
Dec 31, 2005
Messages
23
Re: 1990 force 160

My 60 hp mercury had a bad impeller but kept a solid stream of water coming out of the vent hole. When I changed it out the impeller was in bad shape. If it has been a few years since the impeller was changed that may be the place to start. I have had them go bad in a year.<br />The impeller should be on top of the foot around the drive shaft. I am not sure about pre-mercury Force motors. I just changed the one on my brother's 1999 Force 120.<br /><br />Rockonafly
 
Top