1990 Force 150: Seized Up...

TwiztedMindz805

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 11, 2006
Messages
4
Hello!! I just recently had a problem with my outboard. I pulled in to the lake and the engine started good. However, after 10 minutes of being out at cruising speed, the engine seized up. I tried carnking it on again, but the starter would not turn. The shifter also seems to be stuck. It will not shift to reverse. What would be that probable cause of this problem????
 

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Oct 30, 2002
Messages
21,961
Re: 1990 Force 150: Seized Up...

Welcome to iboats, sorry about your misfortunes.<br /><br />The term "seized" refers to an engine that is so messed up inside, that none of the parts will move, the internal parts are actually stuck together.<br /><br />If you remove the spark plugs, you can grab ahold of the flywheel and turn it by hand. If it turns, your engine is not "seized", it simply will not start.<br /><br />If you can't turn the flywheel at all, your engine MAY be seized, or the lower unit gearcase may be broken, preventing the engine from turning.<br /><br />Does the starter do anything or make any noise when you try to start it?<br />How long have you had the boat?<br />Have you had any service or repair work done recently?<br />Have you checked the safety kill switch?<br />Was the proper amount of oil mixed with the gas? at what ratio?<br />When was the last time the water pump was serviced?<br />Was there sufficient water spraying from the telltale?<br />Remove any screws from the gearcase recently?<br />Did the overheat alarm go off?<br />Are you mechanically inclined and adventurous enough to start working on this motor, or are you planning on taking it into a shop?<br /><br /><br />There could be many things that would cause the engine not to start. We will try to narrow it down, so be patient.
 

TwiztedMindz805

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 11, 2006
Messages
4
Re: 1990 Force 150: Seized Up...

Hey, thanks for your reply. I do have mechancical exp. but outboards aren't my expertise, n well i didnt want to start at the wrong end... I checked most things i could think of and the starter does not do anything, the kill switch is good. I had 50:1 fuel. I unfortunately failed to check for water coming out of the telltale, while i was running the engine. I had taken the bout out about 20 times and never had any problems. Would impeller damage cause the shifter from goin into reverse? or the starter from engaging? I also had the lower unit swapped out for a rebuilt one about 2 years ago, n i figure thats when the impeller was last changed.
 

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Joined
Dec 29, 2003
Messages
8,200
Re: 1990 Force 150: Seized Up...

Right now I'd have a look at the gearlube. If you find bits of metal, that's where I'd concentrate. A Hot Horn should have sounded if there is one and it's in working condition. If the gearlube looks good, drop the gearcase. Then you can tell if it's the powerhead or the gearcase.<br /><br />Also check your gas tank for water. If you use ethanol blended gas, the alcohol can mix with the water and the motor will run. But the oil stays with the gas.<br /><br />One more thing, the starter. I've seen the shaft bend. That could make it so that it binds and locks on the flywheel ring gear.
 

TwiztedMindz805

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 11, 2006
Messages
4
Re: 1990 Force 150: Seized Up...

Ok. I thoroughly checked the electrical and found that the starter was not cranking because the throtle does not go out of forward. I tried turning the flywheel and it does not turn. I emptied out the gearcase oil, and found that it was very thin like water and was a brown color. It had a little bit of metal but it was very small about the consistency of sugar or smaller.
 

TwiztedMindz805

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 11, 2006
Messages
4
Re: 1990 Force 150: Seized Up...

I have now removed the lower unit and the engine freed up. So, it seems like the lower unit is stuck. Might this be repairable???
 

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Joined
Jun 24, 2003
Messages
4,182
Re: 1990 Force 150: Seized Up...

Probably so but you should get on ebay and start bidding on a different lower unit. What ever caused the lower unit to sieze up is not going to be cheap to fix. I would get a clymer manual and start taking the lower unit apart and see what went wrong.
 
Top