1990 Evinrude 15 HP short shaft electric start "play&snap" on full throttle

Dizz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1990 Evinrude 15 HP short shaft electric start "play&snap" on full throttle

I`ve had this outfit since 06,used very little.Compression is at top end of spec,makes me think not many hours,and runs very good&strong,on a SeaNymph TX150 with strong low end prop.Boat has weak transom rotten wood core,another issue.
This year on full throttle,I hear a pop,and the motor appears to move back on the top main hindge pin on top of mount bracket,the one with 2 grease fittings,fine till let off&full power again.
When it moves back,the cable&wires seem to get to short,from stretch from powerhead moving back,the tiller handle wants to ride up,again from tight wires.When I force tiller down,all fine but engine changes sound slightly.
When I manually try to find play in this main pin(the pin that the engine lifts up on as motor is raised)it looks to have a tad over 1/16".I do grease the jerks every season.I see no rubber bushings here,just steel main pin and bores of holes,possibly replaceable bushings?
I always use a transom saver when hauling.
Trying to wiggle the lower end of motor,I can force it fore&aft about 3/16".1/16" side to side.I see little to none in the upper area of motor where it mounts to hinge of upright swivel pin,seems to have a rubber bushing hidden here as well.All bolts seem to be tight.
Sorry for all this me trying to explain myself!!
I replaced all lower unit seals and water pump last year,and ran it once after that last year,with no notice of this issue.
This is a great looking motor,kept inside when not used,but left on boat it`s 1st 15 years I assume,so some paint fade.
Appreciate any ideas on this!
Dizz

Last edited: